Letters to the editor

A vote for the future of Davis

Many of us come from the suburbs and we know what it’s like to drive past neighborhood after neighborhood of cookie cutter houses. In the ’80s and ’90s, developers began to build in this style every time Davis needed to expand.This irresponsible building never truly provided housing that was affordable for young families and professionals that were brought to the City of Davis by the university.

Fast-forward 20 years.

What if there was a way to provide innovative, affordable housing in Davis while allowing us to maintain the same small-town feel that draws people to the city and UC Davis every year?

There is such a project.

Coming from the suburban sprawl of Orange County, I have always been against development.That was until I learned about the standard for green and responsible building that Measure P will bring to the City of Davis.This project is a progressive model for building that will change how we think about growth – not just in our own city, but in Northern California as a whole.

The neighborhood will exceed the current standards for green building in California by 50 percent and the City of Davis’ standards by 100 percent. All of the units – including apartments, town homes and single-family homes – will be equipped with solar panels; they will receive 90 percent of their power from solar. Heating and cooling costs will be reduced by building the houses as solar oriented, staying cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

For those of you looking toward the future, there will be plug-ins for hybrid and electric vehicles. If it’s green enough for the Sierra Club, then it’s green enough for me.

Likewise, if you are like me and plan on living in Davis after you graduate, Wildhorse Ranch will provide the chance for you to live reasonably in this city. The project will not be built until 2012, but it will provide housing under the median price of a Davis home as well as rent control apartments. Whether you’ll be starting a career, attending graduate school, or starting a family when the homes and apartments go on the market, there will be an attainable housing solution available to yourself and fellow Aggies.

Many students may still be questioning why this city election is relevant to them. The significance of students in this election has been called into question by the opposition during the course of the campaign. Too many times I’ve been asked, “Do you live in Davis, or do you go to school here?” as if renting an apartment and living in the city while attending school does not count as living in Davis.

This is not to say you should vote for the project because a few members of the opposition have discredited the role of UC Davis students in the community. Instead, I would like all of the students to show their involvement in the city by voting in this election by saying “yes” to Measure P.

KELSEY MCQUAID

Junior, Political Science

Why I’m voting ‘no’ on P

Just a thought on Measure P’s “affordable” housing plan. I, for one, cannot afford a $350,000-$450,000 priced home. I’m a single mom of two kids. I laugh when I think about “affordable” rent for a two bedroom being $1,200. I work at UC Davis full time and only bring home $2,000 a month. That rent is over half of my income. Affordable? Are they kidding? This affordable housing is not for the low-income people of Davis.

Davis has been – and continues to be – an over priced area to live in. The only reason I stay is because I don’t want to move my children, who have already started high school. As soon as they graduate, though, I will move to a real affordable housing location, which will not be here in Davis.

I will be voting no on P because it is not affordable housing for the low income. These people have no clue what real low income is. Why don’t they start looking at the income of the people who work around here – not just the professors – and get the rent to be in line with those folks first? Get a real affordable housing plan that real people can actually afford. Then I would vote yes.

MICHELLE BRACKETT

Bindery Assistant/Lead Book Processor

Shields Library

Thoughts on sleep

In regard to the article “Study examines academic, social causes of sleep depravation” published on Oct. 20, the reporter, Kelley Rees, is correct in stating what most college students and adults can attest to: We’re sleep deprived! The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults get seven to nine hours of sleep per night (this varies per individual).

Not getting enough sleep may result in negative health outcomes and can also negatively impact students’ academic performance. According to data from the 2009 National College Health Assessment, 22 percent of UC Davis undergraduates reported that sleep difficulties had negatively affected their academic performance.

However, the article’s statement that afternoon naps should be avoided in order to improve sleep hygiene is not entirely accurate. Naps can be very beneficial; a short nap can increase your productivity, enhance your concentration and even improve your academic success.

It is important to nap properly in order to maximize the benefits, though. This means limiting a nap to only 20 to 30 minutes, reducing outside disruptions and napping in the early afternoon so you don’t affect your sleep cycle. Naps are a great way to reduce daytime drowsiness by increasing alertness.

For more information regarding sleep and healthy napping tips, visit healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/hep/well/napping.html.

YASMINE ELSHERBINI

Wellness Student Assistant

Health & Education Promotion