Campus Judicial Report

Theft

A sophomore was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for stealing from the bookstore. The student had stolen some pens and a notebook totaling less than $10. After being caught, the student stated that he had never done anything like that before and he was sorry. Since this was his first referral to SJA, he agreed to a sanction of Disciplinary Probation until fall 2010. If he is referred to SJA again while on probation, he is likely to be suspended or dismissed. The student also must pay a $200 fine to the bookstore in addition to the cost of the items he stole.

… Theft

An employee at the bookstore noticed a Math Lab book opened and then discovered that the registration code had been accessed online. After discovering who returned the book through their camera footage, they called the student in. He admitted to purchasing the book, using the registration code to access the online materials and then returning it for a full refund. The student claimed he did not know that this would be considered stealing. However, once a registration code is used, the textbook is no longer resaleable – so this is a form of stealing. The student had to repurchase the textbook as well as pay the $200 civil fine to the bookstore. Additionally, he was referred to SJA, where he agreed to a sanction of Disciplinary Probation until fall quarter 2010.

… And more theft!

A different sophomore was referred to SJA for stealing from the bookstore. Video footage caught the student stealing on three different visits to the bookstore within one day. The bookstore treated this as three different violations even though they were in the same day because she left and then re-entered. For the first violation she was given a $200 civil fine and the next two times she was fined $400 for each violation. This is a total of $1000 plus the cost of the books that she stole. In addition, she was referred to SJA where she agreed to a sanction of Deferred Separation until graduation. This means that if she is ever referred to SJA again, she gives up her right to a formal hearing and the result would likely be suspension or dismissal.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.