Men’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal Poly

Records: Aggies 5-11-1 (2-5-1); Mustangs 7-8-1 (5-2-0)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Saturday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Chris Leer is the only Aggie to score in the teams’ past four starts.

His goal on Saturday against No. 22 UC Irvine gave UC Davis a 1-0 lead. Unfortunately, the Aggies were unable to hold off an Anteater comeback, losing 2-1.

Leer will look to lead UC Davis to a victory this Saturday in his last game at Aggie Soccer Stadium.

Did you know? Every game is must win for the Aggies the rest of the way. Though their chances of making the Big West Conference Tournament are slim, the Aggies are still in the picture.

With two wins and some key losses from Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Northridge, the Aggies can continue their 2009 campaign past their last regular season match up: a Nov. 7 tilt at UC Santa Barbara.

Preview: The Aggies come into Saturday’s match in Aggie Soccer Stadium on a five-match winless streak. In those five matches, UC Davis found the opposing net only three times.

On the flip side of the coin, Cal Poly enters Saturday’s 1 p.m. start with a 3-1-1 record in its last five matches. The Mustangs are in second place in the Big West.

Additionally, Cal Poly junior forward David Zamora earned Big West Player of the Week honors for his hat trick in the Mustangs’ 3-1 home win over Cal State Northridge.

The Aggies and Mustangs faced off Oct. 4 in only the second Big West game of the season for UC Davis. The teams played a well-fought contest in San Luis Obispo, resulting in a 1-0 win for Cal Poly.

With a win on Saturday, UC Davis can both claim retribution for the loss to Cal Poly and keep itself in the Big West picture.

The Aggies will need all the fan support they can get as they try to keep their season alive.

– John S. Heller