ASUCD Senate Briefs

Oct. 29, 2009

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Oct. 29 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

The meeting was called to order at 6:11 p.m.

Joe Chatham, ASUCD president, absent

Chris Dietrich, ASUCD vice president, present

Joemar Clemente, ASUCD senator, present

Danny Garrett, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Gold, ASUCD senator, arrived late

Erin Lebe, ASUCD senator, present

Kevin Massoudi, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Patrizio, ASUCD senator, present

Laura Pulido, ASUCD senator, present

Shawdee Rouhafza, ASUCD senator, present

Trevor Taylor, ASUCD senator, present

Mo Torres, ASUCD senator, present

Previn Witana, ASUCD president pro-tempore, present

Jack Zwald, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations:

The senate approved three new members to the Gender and Sexuality Commission, GASC.

The senate approved three new members to the External Affairs Commission.

Subhan Cheema was appointed to the Internal Affairs Commission.

The senate approved two new members to the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, ECAC.

The senate approved seven new members to the Outreach Assembly.

Presentations

The Campus Safety Coordinator summarized statistics for reported crime at Davis from the last three years, stating that liquor-related acts continue to account for a large majority of reports. The coordinator emphasized the prevention of drunk driving and also indicated an increase in burglary and drug-related crimes.

Public announcements:

Introduction of New Legislation

The senate introduced Senate Bill #X, authored and introduced by Taylor Fleshman of the Outreach Assembly, to allocate $244.66 from Capital Reserves to purchase digital recording equipment to record and podcast ASUCD meetings.

Public Announcements

Amy Hartstein of the IAC announced that the Asian Pacific Film Festival is this week, and film showings will be on Wednesday thru Friday at 6:15pm in Olson Hall.

Sarah Raridon of GASC and Priya Shukla announced that the tri-co-ops will be having an all-day informational meeting regarding their budget on Nov. 29 at 2 p.m.

Shukla announced that the CCC will be holding a council for environmental leaders in the Conference Room of the first floor of the library on Nov. 4 from 5 to 7 p.m.

Jasmine Smith of the ECAC announced that Nov. 16 to Nov. 21 is International Week and the ECAC will put on a potluck called “Pass the Plate.” ECAC is trying to create a MESA week with a tentative date of May 11.

Student Assistant to the Chancellor Nina Massoumi announced that there will be a MESA retreat potluck fundraiser on Sunday, Nov. 8 with a $5 entry fee.

Patrizio announced that Gavin Newsom will be coming to Davis to speak on Nov. 10 at Freeborn Hall.

Raridon announced that there will be a procession and protest at noon today at the MU patio. Applications for the Queer Leader retreat are available at the LGBTRC.

Torres announced a learn-in planned for November regarding the budget cuts.

Ex-Officio Reports

Smith announced that the ECAC will be coordinating an MESA department dinner and a dance show for the MESA cultural week.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate Bill #9, authored by ASUCD Controller Eli Yani, and co-authored and introduced by Gold, to allocate $3,572.25 from capital reserves to purchase three Apple iMacs for SGAO, passed unanimously.

Other Business

Torres talked about the recently withdrawn plans to raise fees by $900 for undergraduate students in business and engineering. Torres had written resolution against said fee increases, but since the Regents decided not to vote on them this month, he will follow up on the matter if they resume discussion of the matter. Rationale behind the fee increases revolves around lab expenses and rehiring professors.

Meeting adjourned at 8:13 p.m.

ARNOLD LAU compiles the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.