Aggies drop final two games of the season

In the first 10 matches of the 2009 season, UC Davis averaged 2.4 goals per contest.

The final nine games were not only characterized by a lack of scoring, but also by heartbreak, as the Aggies fell twice on golden goals and twice more in the final minute of regulation.

This weekend was no different as UC Davis fell to Cal State Fullerton on Friday night with nine seconds remaining in the match.

Two days later, the Aggies lost 2-0 to UC Riverside to finish out the year.

Friday – Cal State Fullerton 1, UC Davis 0

The Aggies began their final road trip of the season Friday night with a contest against the Titans of Cal State Fullerton.

Coach MaryClaire Robinson was optimistic about her team’s play despite incurring a 1-0 loss.

“We did some really good things,” Robinson said. “We certainly had some good chances to score and we were dangerous.”

Fullerton took 12 shots to UC Davis’ 10, but neither team was able to find the back of the net during the first half.

The second half remained that way throughout the second period of play and looked to be headed into overtime.

That was until Fullerton’s Stacey Fox scored in the 90th minute off a corner kick from Geminesse Martinez.

The Aggies didn’t have much offense for the game but midfielder Rachel Kahn did post two shots on goal.

“Kahn is one of our hardest workers and one of the best defenders we have on the squad,” Robinson said. “I thought she did very well. She was disruptive in their midfield.”

Katie Webb, Aisha Lott and Rochelle VanBuskirk also had one shot on goal each.

“We didn’t win but we certainly played well enough to win,” Robinson said. “I thought the effort was good and I was proud of how we played.”

Sunday – UC Riverside 2, UC Davis 0

UC Davis played a tough match on Sunday against UC Riverside to finish out the 2009 campaign.

The Highlanders struck first in the 55th minute as Ashley Parks scored on a corner kick off the foot of Denise Thomas.

Seventeen minutes later, Kayla Toesh found the back of the Aggie net, giving the Highlanders a 2-0 edge. The goal would prove to be all UC Riverside needed to upend UC Davis in the season finale.

Of the Aggies’ 20 shots against the Highlanders, five were from Rochelle VanBuskirk.

She finished out the season with 13 goals and 30 points on the season.

“VanBuskirk had a great year,” Robinson said. “She’s gotten better and better throughout her career here and she’s been a real quality player for us.”

While the Aggies finish out their season on a six-game losing skid, Robinson was still pleased with the effort that her team put in this season.

“We are certainly a better team than our record shows,” Robinson said. “Particularly in conference games. We’ve got some work to do, but we’re going in the right direction. We’ll take a few days off and then regroup to see what changes we need to make.”

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.