Gift card program in time for holiday season

Shopping for the holidays just got a whole lot easier. Give the gift of shopping – a gift card.

On Dec. 3, the Davis Downtown Business Association will release a gift card valid at a vast majority of Downtown Davis restaurants, retailers and most service businesses.

The gift card will be available online at davisdowntown.com and also at the DDBA’s office at 226 2nd St. Another, so far undisclosed, physical location is being planned to aid with the distribution of gift cards.

“We’re hoping to give people more options for gift giving,” said DDBA administrator Joy Cohan. “Some people may feel limited in purchasing a gift card from just one retailer, but this way the person getting the card can choose a gift that makes sense for them from a variety of retailers.”

DDBA co-president Rosalie Paine, owner of Nestware gift shop, said gift cards are a smart route for shoppers and recipients.

“The purchase of gift cards is pretty universal in America. They’re a really great way for people who maybe aren’t sure what to get to show they care,” said Paine. “This particular gift card will allow shoppers to have some fun and experiment with the options available downtown.”

The gift card has the added benefit of boosting businesses that have suffered with the economy.

“When people in Davis shop locally, the money stays and circulates within the community which helps the local economy, unlike spending money at big chain stores,” said Kim Bradford, owner of Ken’s Bike and Ski, which has been in Davis for 35 years. “Also, shopping locally is a lot greener because you’re not burning fuel to get to another town.”

The DDBA will be helping with the tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 3 in conjunction with the City of Davis. It will organize two holiday shopping days on Dec. 10 and 17 during which businesses will stay open late to accommodate holiday shoppers.

Paine said the gift card is an option for any shopper.

“This is really great for anyone,” said Paine. “I think it may even help bring even out the demographics of shoppers in the downtown area.”

UC Davis senior Will Angel is a self-described cynic when it comes to gift cards but was receptive to the idea of a citywide gift card.

“I don’t normally like gift cards, because they’re kind of like giving money, but less useful,” said Angel. “This is sort of neat though because it’s more personal than just a regular gift card and it’s a lot more useful.”

Paine has high hopes for the gift card.

“I hope the gift card is so well received that we run out and have to order more,” said Paine. “And I hope that people will use it well and continue to support our downtown businesses.”

JANE TEIXEIRA can be reached at city@theaggie.org.