Men’s Tennis Preview

Event: Gael Classic

Where: Moraga, Calif.

When: Friday through Sunday, all day

Who to watch: This weekend, junior Nick Lopez will look to pick up where he left off at the Bulldog Classic a month ago.

The Orinda Calif. native advanced to the round of 16 in Flight A with a singles win over Jose Izquierdo of Oregon by a score of 6-1, 6-3.

As a freshman, Lopez ranked second on the squad in overall wins with a 15-12 singles record.

Did you know? This weekend’s Gael Classic is the last tournament action for UC Davis before dual play begins in early January.

The Aggies open up the season on Jan. 16 at Santa Clara but don’t have their home opener until Feb. 19 when they host Loyola Marymount.

Preview: Last weekend the Aggies traveled to Berkeley, Calif. to take part in the ITA Northwest Regional Championships.

In the opening round of the singles tournament – which includes 128 participants – Hunter Lee, Connor Coates, Chris Aria and Torsten Keil-Long all picked up victories.

Despite their impressive performances, all four men were eliminated in the following round of play.

On the second day of the ITA Regionals, UC Davis picked up a pair of opening-round doubles wins. Both teams also fell in the second round.

The highlight of singles play for the Aggies was Toki Sherbakov who won his opening consolation round match.

He eventually advanced to the championship game of the consolation bracket only to fall to Einar Hart of San Francisco.

On the last day of play, the duo of Aria and Coates defeated Jake Davis and Zach Peach of Gonzaga after losing to a tandem from Eastern Washington in the doubles consolation round.

The Aggie men look to gain some momentum this weekend in their last tournament in fall.

– Mark Ling