2009 Female Athlete of the Quarter

Quickness has always been an advantage for senior Rochelle VanBuskirk.

“Ever since I was really young, every coach I had told me that my number one asset was my speed,” VanBuskirk said. “All I had to do was take one touch, pass the ball and I was gone.”

Her fast tempo has translated into a successful season as part of the UC Davis women’s soccer team.

Her 13 scores this year rank second in UC Davis history for a single season and her 30 points tie her with Cynthia Rail for second all time.

With these numbers, VanBuskirk finished at the top of the Big West Conference and ranked 12th in the nation in goals per game and 14th in points per game.

Speed isn’t the only skill that VanBuskirk brings to the table, said coach MaryClaire Robinson.

“I’m confident that she was on everybody’s scouting report,” Robinson said. “Getting 13 goals isn’t something you do every day. That sort of thing takes consistency, drive and motivation.”

Robinson described the ideal forward as being one who puts herself in dangerous situations and comes out on top. To her, VanBuskirk was that player.

“Whether she was given an opportunity to score or she created one herself,” Robinson said, “she was a dangerous player which is exactly what we needed her to be.”

For her performance this season, VanBuskirk received First-Team All-Conference honors.

Now The California Aggie would like to send another accolade VanBuskirk’s way, proudly naming her the Fall 2009 Female Athlete of the Quarter.

VanBuskirk said her personal goal this season was to do whatever it took to make her teammates better. According to Robinson, she did this rain or shine.

“Before every game I would tell myself to use my speed and play my best,” VanBuskirk said. “Not necessarily to score a goal, but to just play 110% every single game.”

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.