Men’s Basketball Preview

After UC Davis’ loss against Sacramento State last night, they embark on a six-game stint before winter quarter begins.

Vs. Seattle University – The Redhawks enter the Pavilion with a 4-3 record and a leading scorer that UC Davis will have to be prepared for.

Charles Garcia is averaging a whopping 26.6 points per game while shooting 50 percent from the field.

The Redhawks have had their issues defensively though, as they are allowing more points per game (82.3) than they score themselves (78.3).

At Stanford – Don’t let the Cardinal’s 4-3 record fool you.

This is a tough team that took No. 5 Kentucky to overtime before losing 73-65.

Guard Landry Fields, one of only three seniors, has done his best to lead by example. Landry is averaging 23.3 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.

The good news for the Aggies is that Stanford ranks dead last in the Pac-10 in field goal percentage defense, rebounding margin and blocked shots.

The Aggies’ zone defense, which has consistently produced a high number of turnovers this season, will be put to the test against the Cardinal. Stanford ranks number two in the Pac-10 in turnover margin (+5.29) and has good perimeter shooters – they lead their conference in three-point field goals per game.

At Fresno State – The Bulldogs have gotten off to a slow start this season, losing their first four games before beating San Francisco State and Northern Arizona.

Once again, the Aggies can’t let records deceive them. Two of the Bulldogs’ losses were decided by four points or less and they feature a balanced offensive attack. Three of their starters average at least 12 points per game and their freshman center, Greg Smith, is shooting close to 70 percent from the floor.

At Air Force – The Falcons will be the last opponent the Aggies face on their three-game December road trip. Air Force is averaging 10 more points per game this season (68.7) than last despite losing three starters who accounted for a combined 35 points per contest.

Vs. Whittier – The Poets were unbeaten at the beginning of December. All five of their starters are averaging double figures in points per game.

Vs. Cal State Fullerton – In the final game before the winter quarter begins, the Aggies welcome the Titans into the Pavilion. Cal State Fullerton is the first conference opponent that UC Davis will face this season.

Last season, the Titans had Big West Player of the Year Josh Akognon. After losing him to graduation, guard Aaron Thompson has stepped up in his place.

Thompson averaged just under eight points per game last season but is now scoring 18 points per game.

In addition to Thompson, four other Titans are averaging over 10 points per contest.

– Richard Procter