Out with the old and in with the new year

Last year, the ASUCD Entertainment Council brought everything from Islands, (500) Days of Summer and Art Brut. A new year and a new quarter bring new events to campus.

Their plans? After successfully screening Zombieland during fall quarter, the EC plans to screen the film Jan. 11 at 8 p.m. in 123 Science Lecture Hall and twice more at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 12 in Chemistry 194. And it’s only a dollar for students.

The pre-screening of Zombieland at the Varsity Theatre was limited in the amount of seats available last year and many students were disappointed to have not been able to watch the film. The EC has then worked to bring Zombieland to campus.

“To get a screening, we go through the distribution company who is in charge of the rights, reserve a room and publicize the event,” said Cinema intern Laura Kroeger. “We all help each other out. Campus Cinema, the promotions team – everybody kind of pitches in. It takes a number of people to make sure it goes off smoothly.”

Along with screenings organized by Campus Cinema, as well as the International Film Week held later this quarter where movies of all different genres are showcased on campus, the EC has planned a comedy show.

“A new event that I’ve been working on this quarter with the student group Comedy and Consciousness is Davis Comedy Jam,” said EC director, Thongxy Phansopha. “I’m really looking forward to this event because Davis rarely has any stand-up comedy shows.”

“We’re working with about four other students groups for the Davis Comedy Jam [which includes] Black Student Union, Middle Eastern South Asian Leadership Council, Ethnic, Cultural Affairs Commission and Eritrean Student Association.” Phansopha said.

The Davis Comedy Jam will be held at the Art Annex from 6 to 8 p.m. on Feb. 11. The event will feature comedians such as W. Kamau Bell, Hari Kondabolu and Janine Brito.

According to the Facebook event page, the comedians perform their acts centered on social justice themes.

With many firsts such as the comedy jam, there are also many returning events such as the Annual Singles Awareness Night that is scheduled for the night of Feb. 11.

“It’s a great night to party with most of ASUCD members who auction themselves to benefit Cal Aggie Camp,” Phansopha said.

“I think it’s really great that they’re bringing back Singles Awareness Night,” said senior biological science major Sylvia Kim. “With budget cuts, Cal Aggie Camp needs as much support as possible.”

Singles Awareness Night isn’t the only dance party this quarter. EC has scheduled The Hangover Dance Party for this upcoming Sunday. The dance party will feature Zion I, a hip-hop duo – producer and DJ AmpLive and emcee Zumbi – from Oakland.

“We decided to do the Zion I dance party because it’s the first weekend of school and students don’t really have too many obligations yet so why not fully enjoy the whole weekend,” Phansopha said.

The event will be held Jan. 10 at 9:30 p.m. at The Grad. The EC is offering the first hundred students to attend for free. The cover charge for students is $5 and $10 after 11 p.m.

“We want to give the student body what they want.” Kroeger said.

Many events are still tentative but if you are eager to know what to expect from the EC in the next couple of weeks, such as the Zombieland screening, The Hangover Dance Party and the EC volunteer meeting, join their Facebook group.

KAREN SONG can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.