Men’s golf signs three to National Letters of Intent

Cy Williams’ Christmas present came early.

Two days before the holiday, it was announced that three high-school standouts had signed National Letters of Intent to join UC Davis next fall.

The group is comprised of Matthew Henson, Daniel Corvig and Matthew Seramin, who have a wealth of experience on the links.

Henson, from Morro Bay High School, participated in the 2009 U.S. Amateur Championship and won the 2009 AJGA Stockton Sports Commission Qualifier.

“We verbally committed with him earlier than any recruit,” Williams said. “We knew he was very talented. Playing in the U.S. Amateur Championship is an accomplishment. He is the profile we want to recruit.”

Henson also tied the Hiddenbrooke Golf Course record for a single round with a first-round 67 at the North Bay Men’s Amateur Championship.

Corvig is another highly touted future Aggie. A Johansen High School standout, Corvig has a Modesto Metro Conference MVP to his credit and is the defending CIF-Sac-Joaquin Section champion.

“He’s a guy we watched and we saw his talent,” Williams said. “We’re very excited for him to come in.”

In addition, Corvig finished fifth in both the 2008 AJGA Stockton Commission Junior Classic and the AJGA Las Vegas Junior Open.

The third member of the group is Matthew Seramin of Marin Catholic High School. He’s a two-time Marin County Athletic League Player of the Year and helped his school to a 57-1 overall record from 2007-2009.

He also came in sixth place at the 2009 AJGA Trader Joe’s Junior Championship.

“He absolutely rips it,” Williams said. “He has a lot of good things on his resume. He wanted to come to UC Davis and we liked that.”

While the group of recruits has not yet enrolled at UC Davis, Williams says he expects them to build the competition level within his team.

“The competition is really healthy and we want it to grow,” Williams said. “Everybody is going to help everybody else get better.”

Henson, Corvig and Henson all will join an Aggie team that was the 2009 Big West Conference champion and NCAA West Region qualifier.

Williams doesn’t see the youth of his recruits as a problem on the golf course.

“They’re playing such top level competition in national and regional events with golfers who are going to play in college,” Williams said. “They are getting great experience.”

Williams is focused on the play of this year’s Aggies, but it still very excited for what he called one of the best recruiting classes he has ever had.

“I’m very excited,” Williams said. “On paper, this is one of the strongest recruiting classes we’ve had. UC Davis is becoming an attractive play to come play.”

MAX ROSENBLUM can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.