Campus judicial report for Wednesday Jan. 20

Watch Those Eyes Mister!

Two sophomores were referred to Student Judicial Affairs for suspected copying and/or collaborating during an exam. They had both been observed to have “wandering eyes” during the exam, and they also had several very similar incorrect answers. When questioned about the violation, the two students explained that they had studied together and had even gone over practice problems in preparation for the test, which may have accounted for the similarities. Additionally, both students clarified that there was a student sitting between them during the test, so it was unlikely that they were copying. Each was given an administrative notice, which means that no disciplinary action was taken but they were officially informed of university policy regarding test taking.

Tough Week

A freshman residing in a university residence hall was referred to SJA twice in one week. The first was for marijuana possession in the residence hall and the second was for theft from the bookstore. The student was seen on a bookstore security camera shoving a book down the front of his pants and sliding another into his backpack. The student then proceeded to purchase a sweatshirt, and was confronted outside the bookstore when he removed the book from his pants. In terms of the referral for marijuana possession, the student claimed that he had a knee problem but failed to produce a valid medical marijuana recommendation. Already on probation with Student Housing for marijuana possession, this second violation resulted in the termination of his Student Housing contract. The student agreed to a combination of deferred separation and participation in the University Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment program.

ABAA

Two students, a freshman and a sophomore, were referred to SJA for allegedly cheating on an exam in a lower division economics class. One of the students took a test out of order as they were being passed around the class. Rather than the order going ABAB, the exams appeared in the order of ABAA so that the two students sitting next to each other had the same version. The professor reported seeing them looking at each other’s papers repeatedly and occasionally laughing. Both students agreed to deferred separation, a zero on the exam, and 15 hours of community service. Additionally, they agreed that they will never sit next to each other during an exam again, with one person or a row separating them at all times.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.