Women beat Pacific for first time in 10 years

The UC Davis women’s team had not beaten Pacific in 10 years.

So much for recent history.

The Aggies started the new year with a 187-107 win over the Tigers, the first in almost a decade.

“This was a really big victory for us,” said coach Barbara Jahn. “This is the beginning of a new decade. It’s good to start off with a win.”

In the 200 breaststroke, Morgan Lee and Alyssa Britt recorded season-best times of 2:25.45 and 2:27.95, respectively. Jodi Hanson’s time of 2:15.09 in the 200 individual medley was also a season best while Kayleigh Foley broke a personal record in the 100 fly.

The women also swept the top three spots in the 50 freestyle with Chandler finishing first at 24.13, Foley coming in second at 24.28, and Jen Cadmus finishing at 24.86.

The men also had their way with Pacific, defeating the Tigers 151-125 to remain undefeated on the season at 5-0.

Having almost a month off between competitions didn’t seem to bother UC Davis.

“After six weeks off, we performed right on track,” said coach Pete Motekaitis. “We want to get better and better, culminating in a great conference championship.”

The Aggies were led by Matt Herman, who set a Schaal Aquatics Center record in the 1650 freestyle with a time of 15:39.17.

Russ Underwood came in first for the Aggies in the men’s 50 freestyle, outtouching Pacific’s Steven Woods by exactly one-tenth of a second.

Jimmy Fong, Kyle Anderson, Daniel Donnelly, and Russ Underwood combined for a time of 1:33.04. Alex Daneke and BJ Scoggan finished first and second in the 200 freestyle.

On Sunday, the women took to the pool once more facing off against San Jose State. The Aggies fell by a 195-103 score putting their record at 3-6 on the season.

The success that the women had on Saturday didn’t roll over to their meet against the Spartans, as weather conditions made swimming difficult.

“It rained the whole time,” Jahn said. “There was not much rest, and it was cold and wet.”

Despite the poor swimming conditions, Katelyn Griffin’s performance in the 200 freestyle was a season best. Lisa Bender also had a season best performance in the 200 breaststroke.

The women will continue competition when they join the Aggie men in a meet at Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday at 1 p.m.

MATT WANG can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.