Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sonoma State, at St. Mary’s

Records: Aggies, 1-1; Seawolves, 0-0; Gaels, 0-2

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center – Davis, Calif., Timothy Korth Tennis Complex – Moraga, Calif.

When: Friday at 1:30 p.m., Sunday at noon

Who to watch: Senior doubles partners Tyler Lee and Nic Amaroli are coming off a dramatic victory against UC Santa Cruz on Saturday.

In singles play, Lee, the Bermuda Dunes, Calif. native, has had some success against the Seawolves as he claimed his first college singles win against Sonoma State as a freshman.

Did you know? UC Davis and Sonoma State have not faced one another in almost two years. The last time they met was in Davis on Mar. 9, 2008 as the Aggies defeated the Seawolves by a 4-3 margin.

Preview: The Aggies had a strong finish to last Saturday’s doubleheader, claiming 5-1 victory over UC Santa Cruz.

As a result, the team was excited to come back home to prepare for their first home match of the season.

Unfortunately, the Aggies haven’t been able to get much practice in due to the inclement weather conditions. Their homecoming just happened to take place at a bad time.

All the Aggies can do in order to prepare for their match on Friday is to stay fit and in good shape

“With the weather, you just hope everyone can be as consistent as possible,” said coach Daryl Lee.

Even though UC Davis has already played in two contests in the spring season, this will be Sonoma State’s first. Lee does not think that necessarily gives the Aggies an advantage though.

“You never know what’s going to happen,” Lee said. “Everything’s new. You don’t know how players will respond.”

Lee remembers the Seawolves well. One player in particular that he recalls is Connor Olson. Olson took top honors at the ITA West Region Championships in October.

“Olson is a very good player,” Lee said. “Hopefully we’ll compete well against him.”

This is a big contest for the Aggies as it’s their only home match until mid-February. This is even more reason Lee hopes his team competes well.

“Hopefully familiarity will make the guys more comfortable,” Lee said.

– Zander Wold