City invites prospective employees to job fair

Those who enjoy working with children and the outdoors have opportunities for a part-time or summer job in Davis.

The city of Davis Community Services department is hosting the fourth annual Recreation Job Fair on Jan. 27. The fair will take place at the Veteran’s Memorial Center’s Multipurpose Room, 203 East 14th St. from 4-6:00 p.m.

The Community Services Department is seeking energetic and enthusiastic applicants for its recreation division. Applicants must be at least 14 years of age and must love working with children, said Community Services Coordinator, Sandra Montgomery.

The available positions include: lifeguards, swim instructors and aides, day camp counselors, alternative and inclusive recreation leaders, cashiers, snack bar attendants, gymnastics and dance coaches, an assistant pool manager and an aquatic office assistant.

Some positions, such as the assistant pool manager and aquatic office assistant, require applicants to be at least 18 years of age. Shannon Clegg, gymnastics and dance coordinator, said there is a fairly equal number of Davis High School and UC Davis student employees at the gymnastics and dance center.

Melissa Chordas, a recreation employee, will present a workshop on networking, interviewing and how to increase your chances of employment with the city’s recreation division.

Former Davis recreation employees have gone on to become social workers, doctors, teachers and attorneys. Jobs with the division lead to future careers, Montgomery said.

This year, competition for recreation jobs will be high because of the recession, said Anne Marquez, Community Services supervisor. The retention rate is increasing, and former employees who return receive merit increases or pay raises.

An applicant’s evaluation begins at the job fair.

Applicants can bring a completed City Application to the fair to expedite the application process, or they can mail or drop off their completed applications to the Community Services Department at Davis City Hall, 23 Russell Blvd.

There is one generic City Application, but those applying for more than one position are required to submit separate applications with indication of each position.

It is imperative to submit applications early because some positions, including pool cashier, pool snack bar attendant and swim instructor aide, cap at 50 applications.

Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview.

Aquatics positions, lifeguards and swim instructors require additional certification. Lifeguard and swim instructor applicants must submit a copy of their certification or proof of enrollment in an American Red Cross lifeguard training or water safety instructor certification class.

Prospective applicants can view job descriptions and download an application from cityofdavis.org/jobs/parttime.cfm. This site also indicates each position’s closing date.

THERESA MONGELLUZZO can be reached at city@theaggie.org.