Senior assisted living comes to Fifth Street

A new Davis seniors’ assisted living facility may materialize in the next year, following city discussions.

The city’s Planning Commission continued conversation of the Carlton Senior Assisted Living Plaza at their Jan. 13 meeting. The commission proposed the project in June and will make a final action on Feb. 2. If approved, construction will begin during the latter half of 2010 and be completed in the spring or summer of 2011.

The plaza, located on 2726 Fifth St., will consist of 103 assisted care units and house up to 127 people. A separate, secure care area will have an additional 24 beds for memory impaired patients. The complex, costing $25-$30 million, will include activity rooms, a wellness center, support spaces and dining rooms.

Senior Vice President of Business Management for Carlton Senior Living, Toni Graham, said assisted living provides much needed services to the elderly population.

“The senior may require some assistance with medications, personal care needs and transportation,” Graham said. “Carlton Plaza of Davis will address these particular needs of many seniors in a safe setting with care staff and a nurse on site seven days a week.”

According to a Bay Area Economics’ senior population housing report, the estimated population of Davis is 67,286. Seventeen percent of citizens are 55 years old and above and 9 percent are ages 65 and above.

Yolo County Supervisor Jim Provenza was one of many who wrote letters to the Planning Commission in support of the project.

“This is something that our seniors have been asking for,” Provenza said. “We need more quality affordable housing for seniors, especially housing that is centrally located and provides good access to a variety of services.”

The BEA study also found Davis’ population of residents age 55 or older is growing twice as fast compared to other cities in the region. This represents a challenge.

“As this population ages, the need for assisted care, memory care and dementia treatment and other supportive care for seniors will continue to grow,” Graham said. “Meanwhile, Davis seniors are already underserved. Carlton Senior Living identified the underserved need in Davis and believes that Carlton Plaza of Davis will serve as a benefit by becoming an added resource for the aging seniors in the community.”

A major problem facing seniors in Davis is the lack of affordable alternative housing. This is especially prevalent for seniors who live in big family homes and wish to downsize to smaller, cheaper housing, according to Provenza.

Planning Commission Chair Mark Braly voted in support of the project.

“The population in Davis is getting older and people will have to move into assisted care at some point,” Braly said. “This way they get to stay in Davis. It’s a good-looking facility, it will create jobs and it met the requirements for green construction.”

The plaza will have the added economic benefit of creating about 100 new jobs as a result of its operations.

A senior care area is not required to comply with the current Senior Housing Guidelines, which are for residential areas only but will still be fully accessible to residents. The project will comply with the Davis Green Building Ordinance. The buildings will use energy efficient lighting, mechanical equipment, zero to low emission insulation and interior finish products.

Graham sees assisted living as a relatively less expensive alternative to nursing home care.

“The potential for accidents at a private home does increase with age,” Graham said. “Concerned family members may not be able to afford the monthly expenses of a nursing care facility, but they may also fear for their loved one’s safety at home. An assisted living community is designed to provide services for residents who need more than they can safely provide on their own.”

Carlton Senior Living has locations in Sacramento, San Jose, San Leandro, Fremont and Contra Costa County. Graham said the company prides itself on its community involvement. Their list of affiliations includes the Parkinson’s Association, Sutter & Yolo Hospice and Sutter Diabetes Care Center.

“Carlton Senior Living prides itself on working with the community and community resources,” Graham said. “Our plans are to establish similar alliances in Davis.”

JANE TEIXEIRA can be reached at city@theaggie.org.