Davis business scene freshens up

The beginning of 2010 ushered in several changes to Davis businesses.

The “For Lease” sign at the Fast and Easy complex on B and Second streets finally came down when The Used Cell Phone Store moved in this month. Previously occupied by the head shop D-Zone, which moved to G street and became Illusions last spring, the store walls now hold mobile phones instead of hookahs.

The same owners from The Used Cell Phone Store on K street in downtown Sacramento, only 20 miles away, also own and mange this location.

For those in need of a haircut, Lil’ Bit Sassy Salon will be moving from G Street to 735 F St. on Feb. 15, said owner Nancy Wilson Claiborne. After plumbing issues in the current building, Claiborne is excited for the move.

“It’s a great opportunity as a business owner,” Claiborne said. “Plus, there will be lots more parking.”

There is even more movement in the downtown area, said Davis Downtown Business Association Director Joy Cohan.

Comic book store Bizarro World moved to the vacated location at the former Bogey’s Books store, on E Street near Chipotle.

Pet groomer Fo’ Paws on H Street closed but reopened as The Craft of Fo’ Paws, with new management and some of the original staff.

The second used bookstore to make it to the downtown area, Logos, opened over the winter break in the now-closed jewelry and gift shop Aquarius on 2nd Street.

Osaka Sushi at the G Street shopping complex closed its doors, although the restaurant did not return phone calls to confirm. A representative from the Japanese restaurant’s next-door neighbor, The Davis Food Co-op, said Osaka is closed.

Other closures around town include Mengali’s, which was downtown’s last florist. After more than 30 years in Davis, they closed in December.

Anthony’s Men’s Wear on F Street will be closing by end of the month – due to economic conditions, Cohan said. This was the only place in town to rent tuxedos.

Another 2nd Street closure, The Naturalist is going out of business by the end of January. Cohan said the two women who own the store have wanted to retire for some time, but have not found any buyers for the building. Employees will start an online version of the nature-themed gift shop.

SASHA LEKACH can be reached at city@theaggie.org.