Saylor campaigns with soup fundraiser

About 180 people attended Mayor Pro Tempore Don Saylor’s annual soup fundraiser, “Supe’s On,” in honor of his run for a position on the Yolo County Board of Supervisors.

Thursday night, supporters gathered at the downtown Davis Odd Fellows Lodge at 415 Second St.

“I’m excited to broaden the array of issues I’m involved if I’m elected in June,” Saylor said. “I’m really pleased by the support I’ve received from District 2.”

Saylor has been holding soup fundraisers since his first City Council campaign in 2003. After Saylor brought homemade soup to a sick friend, he realized this idea would be a great way to bring community members together.

Supe’s On is Saylor’s third event for his campaign. During non-campaign years Saylor continued the soup tradition and donated the proceeds of the event to local causes.

Musical entertainment was provided by local musicians such as Me and Him, along with singers from the Acme Theater Company.

The event featured 20 different types of soup, each made by a different person. A cookbook compiled of the different soup recipes was distributed at the event.

“The cookbook stresses the value of community and that we can do a lot together,” Saylor said. “From toddlers to centenarians, the community was out for this event.”

Though Saylor would start as Supervisor in Jan. 2011, he plans on continuing his term on Davis City Council until it ends in 2012.

– Text by Angela Swartz