Letter to the editor

Editor,

In the midst of the University of California and statewide budget crises, each UC campus has adopted various techniques to try and get their voices heard. Our student representatives have tried speaking to the regents, along with massive sustained protests at Berkeley and UCLA.

Here at Davis, however, we have a different advantage: our proximity to the Capitol.

ASUCD Lobby Corps has taken advantage of this for the past few years. Lobby Corps is wholly a student enterprise, executed and funded by the students of UC Davis. This ambitious group of students meets every week to discuss upcoming legislation in the State Capitol. Together we learn about key underlying issues and how those issues will affect individual students. Frequently, the group travels to the Capitol to meet with legislators, and there we lobby for increased funding in higher education.

As UC Davis advocacy director Jason Murphy mentioned in the Jan. 5 edition of The Aggie, “not all students want to get involved with the administration for whatever reason. We’re trying to provide them some tools they can use to lobby on their own.”

Lobby Corps does just that. We meet on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the AM Conference Room on the 3rd Floor of the MU.

Sincerely,

EDWARD CARDMAN

JEREMIA KIMELMAN

ASUCD Lobby Corps Members