Men’s Tennis Preview

Headline: Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Portland State; Montana State; at Portland

Records: Aggies, 2-2; Vikings, 1-1; Bobcats, 0-2; Pilots, 1-3

Where: Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center – Portland, Ore.

When: Friday at 2 p.m.; Saturday at 2 p.m.; Sunday at 9 a.m.

Who to watch: Freshman Connor Coates is proving himself to be one of the more reliable Aggies.

The Roseville, Calif. native won both of his singles matches against Pacific and Sacramento State last weekend, helping the Aggies to an upset win over the No. 71 Tigers.

Coach Daryl Lee expects Coates to continue his dominance in this weekend’s matches.

“He’s enjoying competing,” Lee said. “He’s in the moment, which makes it fun to watch.”

Did you know: One of UC Davis’ most dominant wins last season was against Portland State.

The Aggies defeated the Vikings 7-0. Nick Lopez, Hunter Lee, Chris Aria and Nic Amaroli all picked up singles victories in the contest.

Preview: After UC Davis fell at Sacramento State on Sunday, the Aggies returned home.

Four days later, they will head right back out on the road – this time for three matches in Portland, Ore.

While the Aggies stunned the Tigers, they know there’s still room to improve after the contest with the Hornets.

Coach Lee stresses the improvement in doubles play after winning only one match in six last weekend.

Along with doubles play, coach Lee says there’s a lot he plans to have his team work on before heading to Portland.

“The number one thing is our serving and our first volley,” Lee said. “The first two shots have to be solid and consistent.”

Another thing the Aggies have to prepare for is a difference in facilities. Compared to playing most of their matches this season outdoors, the Aggies will be competing in the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center, an indoor facility.

In indoor tennis matches, the balls usually travel faster, leading to shorter points, according to coach Lee.

“The change in conditions can hopefully expand our game,” Lee said.

-Zander Wold