Women’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. San Francisco; Sonoma State

Records: Aggies, 0-3; Dons, 1-0; Seawolves, 0-0

Where: The Marya Welch Tennis Center

When: Friday at 1:30 p.m., Saturday at 11:30 a.m.

Who to Watch: The newly formed freshmen No. 2 doubles team of Ellie Edles and Lauren Curry was the only duo to have an early set lead against Stanford on Tuesday.

Lauren Curry, a native of Walnut Creek, Calif., was one of only two Aggies to get a victory over No. 30 Arizona State on Jan. 23.

Did you know: Senior Desiree Stone has already accumulated 81 career wins for the Aggies. She has tallied at least 25 wins in each of the past two seasons.

Preview: Coach Maze isn’t one to make hasty decisions at the first sign of trouble.

Therefore, his choice of rearranging three of his doubles teams in Tuesday’s loss to Stanford seemed to be just a necessary adjustment.

“The chemistry looked good on all three courts,” Maze said, “We have three new teams and are excited about the combinations.”

On the tail end of a three-game losing skid, Maze decided to group Herzyl Legaspi with Desiree Stone as the No. 1 doubles team, Lauren Curry with Ellie Edles as No. 2 and Noelle Eades with Dahra Zamudio as No. 3.

Maze explains that while schemes can change when preparing for certain levels of competition, the team mentality never sways.

“We need to keep sticking to what we can control.” Maze said. “We look to change our game plan for different teams, but the approach isn’t any different.

San Francisco is the tougher of the two teams UC Davis faces this weekend and has given the Aggies problems in the past. Last year, the Aggies suffered a narrow 4-3 loss on the Dons’ home court.

“They have been tough on us and we play them pretty evenly,” Maze said. “But our players won’t see the ball coming back as hard or as deep as the matches against Stanford.”

The Aggie coach said his team is looking forward to playing at home after a tough road trip that includes two nationally ranked teams.

– Marcos Rodriguez