Women’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State

Records: Aggies 1-3, Hornets 3-1

Where: Rio Del Oro Racquet Club – Sacramento, Calif.

When: Friday at 1:30 p.m.

Who to watch: Desiree Stone faces No. 26 Katrina Zheltova in singles play on Friday.

This is Stone’s second nationally ranked opponent in her last three singles matchups.

The North Hollywood, Calif. native recently lost to former pro Jennifer Lee-Heinser last Friday.

Did you know? Lauren Curry and Sidney Brady lead the Aggies in singles wins this year. Their latest victories were 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-0, respectively, against San Francisco.

Preview: After having the momentum from the first win of the season thwarted by rain, weather will be the most irrelevant part of their performance on Friday against the Hornets.

Coach Bill Maze will be more worried about the No. 59 Hornets trying to prevent the Aggies from recording their first win streak of the season.

The Hornets defeated the Aggies last season by a 6-1 score. Maze explains that playing indoor tennis has really provided the Sac State players with a wide array of improved shots.

“They have a lot of players with experience,” Maze said. “They play indoors and they develop shots over time because of it.”

Regardless of his concerns, Maze has seen improvement in an area that is crucial if the matchups come down to a final set.

“We had problems [last year] with third sets,” Maze said. “But when we play the big points well, we can win those close matches in singles.”

The Aggies doubles play, meanwhile, has been beneficial when closing out opponents. After suffering a tough loss at Stanford, the developing chemistry in doubles play gave the team three consecutive wins over the Dons.

“If history is any indication, it will be very tough,” Maze said. “It’s going to be a real challenge for us.”

– Marcos Rodriguez