Aggies add to string of high scores

Okay, so Alaska Anchorage won the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference championship last year.

And yes, they have solid performers.

Unfortunately for the Seawolves, the Aggies’ consistency and depth proved to be too much to overcome.

“They had good routines out there, but we outnumbered them,” Bobonski said. “We performed better than they did.”

UC Davis won the dual against Alaska Anchorage by a final score of 193.175-190.200.

This score helped the Aggies maintain their top position in the conference – and it wasn’t even a season-best.

“Last week we hit 24 out of 24 routines, which was a huge accomplishment,” Bobonski said. “This time we had a few falls. We didn’t do our best, but we still whipped out a 193.175. It shows how good we are and that when we do our best, we’re going to score pretty big.”

UC Davis’ usual four-event performers Tanya Ho and Katie Yamamura competed in just two events each on Friday.

“It’s hard to do all-around every meet, so we gave them a break,” Bobonski said. “Despite the fact that our lineup wasn’t the same as usual, everyone stepped it up and hit a really high score.”

Senior Kendall McCann and junior Marcy Miller took the top two all-around spots with scores of 38.700 and 38.250 respectively.

McCann placed first on balance beam with a 9.800 score while Miller won uneven parallel bars with 9.775 points.

“It was expected because [McCann and Miller] have been doing so well in the gym for practice,” Bobonski said. “The good thing about our team is that we have a lot of depth.”

Additionally, sophomore Erika Van Dyke posted a season-high score of 9.850 to win floor exercise.

The meet marked the fifth victory in a row for UC Davis.

“Our team is really good and we have high energy,” Bobonski said. “We need to get the little things together like our landings and the extra steps here and there. Once we do that, we’ll be back to 194 for sure.”

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.