Aggies fall to Mustangs, Roadrunnners to end season

With only one Pac-10 victory this season, UC Davis needed some momentum heading into their final matches of the season.

Unfortunately, the Aggies couldn’t come out with a win in either of their final two regular season dual meets of the year as they fell to Cal Poly on Friday and Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday.

To begin the weekend, the No. 19 Mustangs proved to be too much for the Aggies, winning 34-7 in front of their home crowd at Mott Gym.

Only two UC Davis wrestlers came away with victories over Cal Poly. Fifteenth ranked Brandon Low came away with a big upset against No. 8 Boris Novachkov at the 133-pound class, earning a 6-3 decision. The Aggies dropped the next seven bouts including an injury default to No. 15 Barrett Abel at 149.

No. 15 junior heavyweight Ricky Alcala earned the Aggies more points with a 14-5 major decision against Jim Powers to finish off the match.

With the victory, the Mustangs moved to 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Pac-10.

UC Davis looked to overcome their loss at Cal Poly as it traveled to Cal State Bakersfield to take on the Roadrunners at the Icardo Center.

Unfortunately for the Aggies, the match was more of the same as the Roadrunners beat them for the second time this season, this time by a score of 39-4.

The lone win for the Aggies came at the 133-pound division where Low earned a major decision against Justin Durham.

Abel did not compete for the Aggies because of injuries sustained the night before. However, they hope to have him back in time for the Pac-10 tournament.

The two losses drop the Aggies to 1-7 in Pac-10 play and 3-12 overall heading into the conference tournament at the Pavilion starting Feb. 26.

Heading into the competitive tournament, coach Lennie Zalesky wants his young team to relax and work on the basics.

“I would say quite honestly that because we have such a young team we’ll be working on things that the seniors from last year left with,” Zalesky said. “There will be a heavy emphasis on the basics and sound wrestling.”

KYLE HYLAND can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.