Campus Judicial Report for Feb. 17

Come back with that cake!

A first-year student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for allegedly removing four pieces of cake from the Dining Commons after her meal. Patrons of the Dining Commons are allowed unlimited seconds while in the facility; however, only an ice cream cone, ice cream bar or a piece of fruit may be taken from the building. Attempting to or successfully removing additional food is considered a misuse of university services and resources. The student admitted to the misconduct and accepted a Name on File with SJA. This is considered disciplinary action, but does not appear on the student’s transcript. Should the student be referred again, this incident could have bearing on the penalty for a future violation.

Keep your computer squeaky clean

A senior was referred to SJA for not maintaining a secure computer and for not responding to repeat attempts to contact him regarding the problem. Due to the fact that his computer was not secure, he contracted a virus that he was spreading to others through the campus network. The UC Davis Network Operations Center provided suggestions for a remedy in their warning e-mails prior to his referral to SJA, including reinstallation of his hard drive and use of anti-virus software. The student received a Name on File with SJA as a result of this violation.

One correction is all it takes

A first-year student was referred to SJA for allegedly altering an exam and submitting it for a re-grade. The student denied the violation to begin with, but later admitted to changing one answer. He claimed that the answer he changed was due to the test question mirroring exactly a practice exam problem, yet with a different answer for each. The student saw this as unfair and altered his originally given answer accordingly. Further, he insinuated that perhaps the other altered answers might have been changed by his lab partner when he was out of the room. This explanation was problematic because the student could not explain how his lab partner would have known that he would even submit the test for re-grading. The university decided to resolve the matter based upon the student’s admission that he had altered one answer, and he received the sanction of deferred separation. This means that in the event of a subsequent referral, the student waives his right to a formal hearing and, if found in violation informally by a judicial officer, would likely be suspended or dismissed from the university. He also received a zero grade on the exam and 20 hours of community service.

Campus Judicial Reports are compiled by members of the Student Judicial Affairs. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.