City pays for half of recreation program costs

Despite tough economic times, the city of Davis is allocating funds to assist residents in affording and ultimately participating in recreation programs. Friday is the deadline to submit recreation fee subsidy applications for the initial application period.

The recreation fee subsidy program provides funds to those who qualify based on income and household size. Eligible applicants receive 50 percent of program fees up to their allotted household amount. Families with the lowest incomes will receive subsidies first.

Each family can receive a maximum of $300. The initial award amount last year was $225. The amount of the fee subsidy is the total number of applications divided by the initial distribution amount available, which equals the award amount, not to exceed $300.

“If we have more applications in the initial distribution round (deadline is Feb. 19), then people could get less than last year’s amount,” said Community Services supervisor Anne Marquez in an e-mail interview.

A small remainder of funds will be distributed throughout the year after Friday’s application deadline on a first come, first serve basis until the money runs out.

“The sooner you get your application in, the better,” Marquez said.

In 2009, funds were depleted in May. Marquez said she imagines more people will apply for fee subsidies and request funds earlier because of the economy.

Applicants will be notified of their status in early March, so they can begin applying for summer programs. The priority closing date for summer registration is Apr. 2.

“The funds being distributed in March are for the 2010-2011 fiscal year, with summer 2010 being the earliest programming that funds can be applied to,” Marquez said.

Families receive a lump sum of money they can use for any recreation program. There is no need to reapply for funds for each recreation season.

The cost of the recreation programs varies drastically. Swim lessons cost $55 for 10 classes that are 45 minutes each. The $90 Rainbow Summer Day Camp, held Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., is the most reasonably priced day camp, said Connie Foppiano, Community Services manager.

The cost of recreation programs varies anywhere from $13-$400.

The recreation fee subsidy program, which has been in tact for over 25 years, has been successful in the past, Foppiano said. The City Council allotted more money towards this program over the years.

“We are happy to offer this to the community,” Foppiano said.

The community services department encourages as many people to apply as possible in order to distribute all of the allocated funds to those in need, Foppiano said.

The only downside of this program is some families cannot afford to pay the remaining 50 percent that is not subsidized, Foppiano said.

Marquez said the city is interested in helping people from diverse income levels because everyone should have the opportunity to participate in various recreation activities, such as swim lessons and camps.

To apply for a fee subsidy, download and complete the application form on cityofdavis.org/cs/webreg/feesubsidy.cfm and attach copies of Federal Income Tax Returns and proof of income. Applicants must file their Federal Income Tax Return prior to submitting the fee subsidy application. Submit all forms of documentation, such as pay stubs, social security, child support, welfare and penchant.

Applicants should deliver or mail applications to the Community Services Department office, 23 Russell Blvd., Davis, CA 95616, by Friday, Feb. 19.

THERESA MONGELLUZZO can be reached at city@theaggie.org.