ASUCD Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Feb. 18 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

Meeting called to order at 6:11 p.m.

Joe Chatham, ASUCD president, absent

Chris Dietrich, ASUCD vice president, present

Abrham Castillo-Ruiz, ASUCD senator, present

Joemar Clemente, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Gold, ASUCD senator, present

Don Ho, ASUCD senator, present

Joel Juarez, ASUCD senator, present

Andre Lee, ASUCD president pro-tempore, present

Levi Menovske, ASUCD senator, present

Kevin Massoudi, ASUCD senator, present

Bree Rombi, ASUCD senator, present

Shawdee Rouhafza, ASUCD senator, present

Trevor Taylor, ASUCD senator, present

Previn Witana, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and Confirmations

The senate approved Fatima Salman as an alternate commissioner for the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC).

Consideration of Old Legislation

Senate Bill 36, authored by Witana, to allocate funding from Capital Reserves to purchase a screen, blower, DVD cables, a switcher and tie-downs for the Entertainment Council (EC) was tabled for future consideration.

Senate Bill 39, authored by the Business and Finance Commission (BFC), to update the process of BFC audits, passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 15, authored by Don Gibson of the ASUCD Office of City and County Affairs, in support of the construction of a new communications tower for KDVS in North Davis, passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 16, authored by Gold, to reduce the BFC’s standard for a good student-to-dollar ratio from five to three dollars per student, failed with a 2-10 vote.

Public Announcements

Dana Percoco of the External Affairs Commission (EAC) awarded Hottie Hot-Hot Awards to Amy Hartstein of the Internal Affairs Commission (IAC) for her winning of the highest bid at the Singles Awareness Night fundraiser and Taylor for his contributions as a senator.

Lee announced that the public Senate meeting for the quarter will be held on March 4 in Tercero Main.

Jasmine Smith of the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission (ECAC) announced that PEACE training will be held during the ECAC meeting today and that Speak Up will be held during the week of April 11.

Amaan Shaikh of the Academic Affairs Commission (AAC) announced that the Last Lecture Series will be held Tuesday at 7:10 p.m. in the Griffin Lounge. The topic will be “Doing or Dreaming: A Goal-Keeper Turns to Drink.”

Taylor announced that Greek Awards Night will be held tonight to recognize specific chapters for scholarship and community involvement.

Unit Director Reports

Kevin Corrigan, unit director of KDVS, was in attendance to show support for SR 15. He stated that moving KDVS’ communication tower from its current location atop Kerr Hall to North Davis would reduce interference and improve the broadcast signal to Sacramento. Corrigan also stated that KDVS’ news department is producing a news story nearly every day, KDVS Recordings will be putting out its 10th record release in April and the station will be hosting a fundraiser during that month with the aim of raising $60,000.

Meeting adjourned at 9:44 p.m.

ARNOLD LAU compiles the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.