Women’s Basketball Preview

Headline: Women’s Basketball Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Long Beach State; at UC Riverside

Records: Aggies, 17-8 (9-3); 49ers, 12-14 (8-5); Highlanders 12-14 (9-4)

Where: Walter Pyramid – Long Beach, Calif.; Student Recreation Center – Riverside, Calif.

When: Today at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 5 p.m.

Who to watch: UC Davis has been the model of consistency this season as it has utilized only two different starting lineups.

As a mainstay in the starting rotation, sophomore Kasey Riecks has exemplified that consistency.

The Auburn, Calif. local is first on the team in total three-pointers made (42), ranks third in points per game (10.2) while also placing fourth in minutes (27.4) and rebounds per game (2.9).

Did you know? The Aggies have their work cut out for them this weekend.

They will be facing the two teams who are immediately behind them in the conference standings. In addition, UC Riverside has won nine of their last 11 contests.

Preview: It’s so close, yet so far away.

The Big West Conference Tournament begins in just 13 days. However, in order to get there with a good seed, UC Davis has to go through four more tough opponents.

“It’s easy at the beginning of conference to have a lot of energy,” said junior Heidi Heintz. “But at this point we just need to have a little extra focus – a little extra energy. We need to push through this heading into the tournament.”

The next two obstacles come this weekend as the Aggies make their final road trip of the season.

In Long Beach State, UC Davis finds a familiar foe who may have recently learned the Aggies’ secrets.

“It sounds hard playing a team back to back because they might to start getting a feel for our defense,” said forward Paige Mintun. “They’re going to be used to it. At the same time, they’re going to be trying this whole week to simulate what we do – but no one can.”

To defeat a hot team at UC Riverside, UC Davis must find its rhythm offensively.

“One of our coaches told us that confidence breeds confidence,” Mintun said. “As soon as you see one person hit their shot you’re like, ‘yeah, I’m going to hit mine now.’ It just starts flowing when we hit those shots.”

– Mark Ling