News in Brief: Campus experiences hateful vandalism

The entrance to the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center (LGBTRC) on campus was vandalized Friday night with spray paint and derogatory phrases.

In addition, early last week, a swastika was carved into the door of a first-year student in a Tercero residence hall. The sign was approximately two inches and was carved next to the door of a Jewish student residing in the dorms.

UC Davis Police are currently investigating both crimes.

Police have not yet identified suspects for either crimes and request that any information regarding who might be responsible be brought forward.

In a letter sent to the UC Davis community, members of the LGBTRC announced that they would not immediately remove the vandalism in order to raise awareness for the struggles that the LGBT community faces. The front entrance where the vandalism appears will be cleaned on Monday night.

“We feel it is easier to erase physical representations of violence than to heal from the ongoing impacts of this hatred,” the letter read. “Erasing it makes it possible to avoid believing these things happen on our campus. We want to work towards a healing resolution.”

The LGBTRC will hold a town hall discussion to decide further actions and express any concerns tonight at 5:30 p.m. in Regan Main.

Any information regarding potential suspects should be reported to campus police at 530-752-1727.

For further information on these crimes, read tomorrow’s Aggie.

– Lauren Steussy