Track and Field Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal, vs. Fresno St., vs. Stanford, vs. Cal Poly, vs. San Francisco

Where: Cobb Track and Angell Field – Palo Alto, Calif.

When: Saturday, All Day

Who to watch: At the Husky Classic, senior Sirena Williams[cq] managed to break her school record in the 60-meter hurdles with a new time of 8.67, replacing her old time of 8.82.

In addition to being instrumental in the hurdles, Williams also holds school marks for both the 60-meter and the long jump.

Did you know? Two weekends ago the UC Davis women’s track team was able to return from Seattle with five school records set or tied.

The record-setting performance was lead by freshman Melanise Chapman who broke her own school record in the 200-meter with a time of 25.28 and tied the existing record in the 60-meter with a time of 7.81.

Preview: The Stanford meet coming up on Saturday marks a point in the Aggies’ indoor season as they move more towards opening their spring season.

“The outdoor meets are nice because we are able to take a lot more people to compete,” said coach Jon Vochatzer. “Also this meet will give us a chance to adjust our indoor training to the outdoor distances the athletes will be competing in.”

In recent years Cal Poly and San Francisco have joined the annual Quadrangular meet bringing the competitors to a total of six schools.

Men’s distance runner Jonathan Peterson will be competing for the Aggies in the 3,000-meter this weekend. Peterson broke his school record in this event at the UW Invitational with a time of 8:11.52 beating his old school record of 8:13.90.

Seniors Jazz Trice and Polly Gnepa will be competing in the 60-meter sprint and 60-meter hurdles. Both Trice and Gnepa were conference champions last year and are among the top runners in the country according to Vochatzer.

In field events, Igor Seriba was able to capture first place in the triple jump at the UW Invitational with a distance of 49-06.25 and will be competing in the triple jump again at Stanford.

Representing the Aggie women in field events are Tessa Fraser and Ashley Hearn.

At the Husky Classic, Fraser recently tied a decade-old school record held by Jennifer Swanson in the pole vault with a distance of 12-04.0.

Hearn currently holds marks in the school records for both the shot put and weight throw.

– Madeline Weeks