Women’s Basketball Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Cal State Northridge; Cal State Fullerton

Records: Aggies, 18-9 (10-4); Matadors, 4-22 (2-12); Titans, 13-15 (7-7)

Where: The Pavilion

When: Today at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: Haylee Donaghe will be playing at the Pavilion for the last time.

The grad student from Atascadero, Calif. has spent six years at UC Davis and has cemented her name as one of the program’s best female basketball players.

While injuries have attempted to sidetrack her playing career, she has persevered.

Despite missing all of last season with a knee injury, she has come roaring back in her final season to lead her team in total steals (63) and rank second in the Big West Conference in steals per game (2.3).

“In terms of my experience at UC Davis,” Donaghe said, “I don’t think I would have wanted to play anywhere else. We travel to other schools and they don’t have the kind of support we do. Every day the Aggie Pack, the Band-Uh! and members of the community are here. I honestly couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Did you know? Cal State Northridge only has two conference wins this season.

Both of the victories have come against the same team – Cal State Fullerton, who the Aggies will play on Saturday.

Preview: If UC Davis had won their last game against UC Riverside, the Aggies would have clinched at least a share of first place heading into the conference tournament.

UC Davis did not beat UC Riverside. As a result, these next two games are as important as ever for the Aggies.

With the Matadors and Titans coming to town, the Aggies must win-out to clinch a share of the regular season conference title.

“We had an opportunity but didn’t take advantage,” said coach Sandy Simpson. “But we’re still in control of our own destiny. We don’t need help from any other teams so we can’t worry about the tournament yet.”

The Aggies beat the Matadors earlier in the year but they fell to the Titans on the road to open conference play.

None of that matters now.

“That’s all water under the bridge now,” Simpson said. “We just need to stick to our game plan of staying aggressive offensively to maintain our momentum at home.”

In addition to claiming a share of the regular season conference title, two wins will also give the Aggies a two-round bye at next week’s Big West Tournament.

– Mark Ling