Women’s Golf Preview

Event: Juli Inkster Spartan Invitational

Where: Almaden Golf and Country Club – San Jose, Calif.

When: Today and Tuesday, all day

Who to watch: Junior Alice Kim was named the Big West Conference Women’s Golfer of the Month for February – the second time this season she’s received the award.

Kim is averaging 73.4 strokes per-round and has not finished outside the top-20 in any tournament this year.

It is the Walnut, Calif. native’s discipline and dedication that sets her apart from other players.

“Her work ethic is unmatched at the collegiate level,” said coach Anne Walker. “She knows the big picture. Her vision is clear and she works toward what she wants.”

Did you know? The Aggies are coming off their shortest break between tournaments in 2010. It has been only six days since they finished first in Fresno, Calif. and they feel that the short layoff will allow them to keep their hot-streak going.

“It’s nice to be able to keep playing,” Walker said. “It’s good that we’ll be able to carry our momentum into the next tournament.”

Preview: No. 25 UC Davis will look to have another strong tournament this week.

The Aggies are the second-highest ranked team in the tournament, behind only No. 12 California.

When the two competed earlier this season at the Peg Barnard Invitational, UC Davis finished 18 strokes behind Cal.

Still, the Aggies are focused only on themselves and they feel confident.

“We just want to play at a high level,” Walker said. “We’ve had a good week of practice and we’re in a good place. If we take home first that’s great, but as long as we play well we’ll be happy.”

One of the keys for UC Davis this season has been their overall team depth.

The Aggies have eight golfers who average 7-over or better and six golfers who have finished in the top-20 in at least one tournament this season.

UC Davis will feature one lineup change from the team that took the course a week ago in Fresno as freshman Belen Hernandez enters the tournament this week.

– Trevor Cramer