Aggies battle nation’s best

The Aggies competed against top-25 teams in the DeMarini Invitational this weekend in preparation for conference play.

After posting a win against Indiana, UC Davis moved to 7-12 on the season.

“Defensively and offensively we didn’t capitalize in crucial situations,” said coach Karen Yoder. “But the caliber of teams we played definitely challenged us, which will only help us for conference.”

Friday – Game 1: UC Davis 3, Oregon State 5

The Beavers held the Aggies hitless until the fourth when Sarah Axelson hit her second homerun of the season to make the score 2-1.

Later in the inning, a single from Jessica Gonzales drove in a run to tie the game at 2.

The score went back and fourth until the bottom of the seventh when Oregon State’s Nikki Chandler hit a walk-off two-run homerun to give the Beavers the 7-5 victory.

Friday – Game 2: UC Davis 5, Loyola Marymount 7

The Aggies had a 3-0 lead going into the bottom of the third inning.

In the next three innings, the Lions came back and scored six total runs, giving Loyola Marymount a 6-3 lead at the top of the sixth.

Kylie Fan scored on a two-run homerun by Gonzalez in the top of the sixth to push UC Davis to within 6-5.

The Lions scored again in the sixth inning to account for the final score of 7-5.

Saturday – Game 1: UC Davis 4, Indiana 2

The game against Indiana had a different outcome.

Alex Holmes posted 11 strikeouts against the Hoosiers while she picked up her fifth win of the season.

“Alex threw a large amount of innings for us this weekend,” Yoder said. “She’s doing exactly what we need her to do right now and continuing to work hard on a daily basis so she can bring her A-game come conference time.”

UC Davis finished with 10 hits to Indiana’s seven in the 4-2 victory.

Megan Guzman finished 2-for-3 and five other Aggies posted one hit each.

Saturday – Game 2: UC Davis 1, Northwestern 7

The Aggies avoided a 7-0 shutout against the Wildcats when Rachel Miller scored in the seventh inning.

In the game, Marissa Araujo threw an inning and gave up just four hits.

“Araujo is extremely versatile,” Yoder said. “With a limited amount of training last week she kept us competitive and did a good job.”

Sunday – UC Davis 3, No. 3 Florida 14 (5)

Florida scored all its runs in the first four innings.

After battling a finger injury, Heather Zimmerman belted a three-run homerun in the top of the fifth inning to post the Aggies’ only runs of the game.

“Zimmerman took full advantage of the opportunity she had on Sunday,” Yoder said.

Earlier that morning, UC Davis lost 7-2 to Northwestern in the previously suspended game from the Cathedral City Classic.

“It’s all part of the big picture,” Yoder said. “We need to remain mentally tough and remember that this is challenging us at the highest level.”

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.