Track and field preview

Event: Aggie Open

Where: Woody Wilson Track

When: Saturday, All Day

Who to watch: After opening the indoor season by capturing first in the triple jump, senior Igor Seriba is determined to maintain his success.

“He’s on a mission,” said coach Jon Vochatzer.

This La Jolla, Calif. local placed first in both the triple jump and the long jump this past Saturday.

Did you know? Senior Sirena Williams was named Big West Track Athlete of the Week on Tuesday for her performance at the Stanford meet.

This Fresno, Calif. native captured first in the 100-meter hurdles and despite hitting a slight head wind, she marked a time of 13.90.

Williams currently holds the school record in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.50.

Preview: The Aggies had a strong showing at the Stanford Opener last weekend, taking 10 wins to begin their outdoor season.

This performance signals a turning point for the Aggies in their transition to Division I.

“To be getting these kinds of marks at this point in the season is really great,” Vochatzer said.

With finals just around the corner the Aggies are looking to pace themselves this weekend as they host the Aggie Open.

“When you have a meet so close to finals you have to understand that the athletes might not be getting as much rest as they should be,” said coach Deanne Vochatzer. “We’re looking to hone in on the competition and be more specific with the events we place people in.”

Stepping up to the challenge on the women’s side is junior Ashley Hearn.

At Stanford she claimed first in both the shot put and discus throw, capturing a personal best of 48.46 in the latter.

On the men’s side of the action, 2009 conference champion Polly Gnepa looks to continue his strong performance.

He took first in the 110-meter high hurdles at Stanford with a time of 14.31.

– Madeline Weeks