News in brief

Man stabbed in Davis

On Wednesday night, a man claimed he was stabbed while walking possibly on Chestnut Lane near Pole Line Road.

He was not sure of the exact location because he was not familiar with the city, according to a press release.

Davis Police responded to the emergency room the night of March 10 where the victim had non-life threatening stab wounds to his back, neck and chin.

He saw three assailants but was unable to identify any attackers. He then called a friend to take him to the Sutter-Davis Hospital.

Anyone with information about this incident should contact the Davis Police Department Investigations Division at 747-5430.

Three godless billboards vandalized

At the end of February, two more billboards were vandalized in the final week in the Sacramento Area Coalition of Reason’s month long campaign.

Out of the 10 billboards, three have been vandalized. One is located on the west side of Roseville Road, north of Longview Drive, and is visible to southbound traffic passing McClellan Air Force Base. This sign had almost all of its vinyl torn off, showing the old billboard underneath. Another on the west side of Auburn Boulevard, south of Myrtle, facing north, had “Christ Loves U” spray painted in the lower right-hand corner, according to a press release.

The first incident occurred earlier on a billboard on I-80 between Sacramento and Davis. All boards read: “Are you good without God? Millions are” when “also lost?” had been spray painted below the “Millions are.” The company that owns the billboard, Clear Channel, replaced the board.

The purpose of the campaign’s message is to increase awareness of secular thinking.

Rep. Yamada presents on danger of scams, fraud

Rep. Mariko Yamada (D-Woodland), with the Contractors State License Board, will host a free “Senior Scam Stopper” workshop in Woodland next Thursday.

The presentation will offer information of the threat of scams and fraud that target senior consumers. Experts will discuss several types of scams.

The workshop will be on March 18 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Woodland Community and Senior Center at 2001 East Street.

More seminars and workshops are in the works for the area in the future.

The panel includes the following organizations and topics:

– Contractors State License Board: Home improvement and repairs

– DCA/Bureau of Automotive Repair: Auto repair

– Department of Corporations: Financial scams

– Public Utilities Commission: Telecommunication scams

– Department of Real Estate: Real estate scams

– Yolo County District Attorney’s Office & Woodland Police Department: Frequently used scams

Sen. Wolk criticizes the approach to Delta management

Sen. Lois Wolk (D-Davis) says there is a lack of authority and independence for the new Delta Stewardship Council.

Wolk is a member of the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Water which held the information hearing with the Assembly Committee on Water, Parks and Wildlife.

Wolk released the following statement in a news release after a joint hearing of State Assembly and Senate committees concerning the funding and implementation of the 2009 legislative water package:

“It is business as usual, and discouraging. My worst fears were confirmed today. The train has left the station and is not stopping for anything, including the Delta Stewardship Council. The whole thrust of this Delta reform legislation was to ensure that the Delta would have a true steward with independent and transparent decision-making authority to craft a plan for the Delta. Unfortunately, the testimony given today shows … the Department of Water Resources and the Bay Delta Conservation Plan are moving full speed ahead, executing contracts and making decisions even before the Delta Stewardship Council is appointed. This is a 50-year plan, so it needs to be done right, not rushed to meet an arbitrary deadline.

“Before the ink has even dried on this legislation, which was supposed to change everything, we are seeing not only a lack of transparency, but a lack of collaboration with the legislature, local government and the people on the ground. On its current trajectory, the Delta Stewardship Council, once appointed, will have little ability to exercise its independent authority to develop the Delta Plan. They are being put into a position of doing little more than rubber stamping decisions made by other agencies.”

Tutors needed at local libraries

Volunteers are needed to tutor English-speaking adult learners.

Yolo Reads, the Yolo County Library adult literacy program, provides free and confidential instruction to learners. The program offers one-on-one support from tutors, free material for six months, free computer use and access to library collections.

Interested volunteer tutors are not required to have experience. Hours are flexible and Yolo Reads provides training and materials. Tutoring is available at the seven library branches in Davis, West Sacramento, Clarksburg, Winters, Esparto, Knights Landing and Yolo.

“One in six Yolo County residents cannot read and write sufficiently to carry out day-to-day activities at work and at home,” read a press release.

For more information call Yolo Reads at (866) 609-7303 or e-mail heather.bratt@yolocounty.org.

Compliance with state housing law allows county to apply for grants

The Yolo County Housing Element was certified in compliance with the state housing law, announced the California Department of Housing and Community Development.

Yolo County is now included in the 27 percent of local jurisdictions in compliance. The county is also qualified to compete for several state and federal grant programs, opening opportunities for projects for parks, infrastructure, home ownership, home repair and economic development.

California also supported the county’s policies for compact mixed-use development, which contribute to worker housing and preservation of farmland and habitat.

Board of supervisors chair Helen Thomson said in a press release under the previous Housing Element, 1,100 new homes were built, including 233 affordable homes to low income families.

A state-approved Housing Element is required for each of the state’s 535 city and county general plans. Certification, marking the end of a six-year effort, is the last step before the completion of the new general plan, which the board of supervisors adopted in November 2009.

Monthly waste drop-off days dispose and recycle household products

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) drop-off days this month are scheduled for Mar. 12 and 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Yolo County Central Landfill at 44090 County Road 28H.

The landfill will accept HHW from county resident only. Infectious medical waste is not accepted, while business hazardous waste from small-quantity generators is acceptable for a fee and by appointment only. Call (866) 714-8470 to schedule an appointment. 

Accepted materials include: batteries, fluorescent bulbs or tubes, used motor oil and filters, cleaning supplies, lighter fluid, antifreeze, aerosols, garden pesticides and herbicides, latex or oil based paints, solvents, poisons, electrical switches/relays, pilot light sensors, mercury thermostats and containerized syringes.

The landfill’s Reuse Center offers free reusable products such as auto lubricants, paint, pool chemicals, gardening items and cleaners.

The next HHW drop-off days are scheduled for April 9 and 10.

The landfill accepts the following products daily during business hours for recycling: household batteries, fluorescent bulbs or tubes, printer cartridges, wall-mounted thermostats, electronic devices (e-waste) with a circuit board (i.e., VCRs, cell phones, telephones, printers, radios, computers, monitors, TVs), latex paint, used motor oil and filters, diesel fuel, diesel oil, non-chlorinated power steering fluid, differential clutch fluid, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, kerosene, auto batteries, paper, cardboard, bottles and cans.

POOJA KUMAR can be reached at city@theaggie.org.