ASUCD Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate Meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the March 11 meeting locations, the Silo Cabernet Room and the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

Meeting called to order at 6:15 p.m. Reconvened at 7:39

Jack Zwald, ASUCD president, left early

Previn Witana, ASUCD vice president, present

Ozzy Arce, ASUCD senator, present

Abrham Castillo-Ruiz, ASCUD senator, present

Osahon Ekhator, ASUCD senator, arrived late from a break scheduled to end at 10:10 p.m.

Don Ho, ASUCD senator, present

Joel Juarez, ASUCD senator, present

Andre Lee, ASUCD president pro tempore, present

Levi Menovske, ASUCD senator, arrived at 11:15 p.m. after leaving early.

Bree Rombi, ASUCD senator, present

Selisa Romero, ASUCD senator, absent

Alison Tanner, ASUCD senator, present

Adam Thongsavat, ASUCD senator, present

Liz Walz, ASUCD senator, arrived at 11:15 p.m. after leaving early.

Appointments and confirmations

Sergio Cano was appointed chair to the ASUCD Internal Affairs Commission.

Ami Choi was appointed for the science and engineering chair to the Outreach Assembly.

Presentations

Lamar Heystek declared March 11 Joe Chatham and Chris Dietrich Day for enhancing student life at UC Davis as President and Vice President.

Tony Wong from Assemblymember Mariko Yamada’s[cq] (D-Davis) office honored Chatham, Dietrich and controller Eli Yani on behalf of Yamada and Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis).

Farewell addresses

Chatham, Dietrich, Yani and former IAC chair Amy Hartstein gave their farewell speeches.

Consideration of old legislation

Senate Resolution 20, authored by Kyle Fradkin, co-authored by Aaron Giampietro, Lewis and Stone, introduced by Lee, in support of California Senate Constitutional Amendment 26 and the need for fee increase reform measures to be imposed upon the UC Regents, was passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 21, authored by Fradkin, co-authored by Giampietro, Christopher Lewis and Kristen Stone, introduced by Lee, in support of California Senate Bill 650 that would extend the privileges and benefits to UC and CSU employees who wish to seek protection under the California State Whistleblower Protection Act, was passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 22, authored by Fradkin, co-authored by Giampietro, Lewis and Stone, introduced by Lee, in support of California Assembly Bill AB 1436 that would urge the regents to broadcast all meetings live on the internet to bring more transparency to future decisions, was passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 23, authored by Fradkin, co-authored by Giampietro, Lewis and Stone, introduced by Lee, in support of California Senate Bill 917 and the need for fee increase reform measures to be imposed upon the regents, was passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 24, authored by Fradkin, co-authored by Giampietro, Lewis and Stone, introduced by Lee, in support of California Senate Bill 330 that would include various UC and CSU auxiliary organizations under the auspices of the California Public Records Act, was passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 47, authored by Lee, co-authored by Monica Lindholm, Picnic Day chair, to allocate $1,500 from Senate Reserves to fund a sustainability subsidy for the major food booths registered for Picnic Day, was passed with a vote of 7-4-1.

Senate Resolution 14, authored by Ornelas, co-authored by Witana and Sarah Raridon and introduced by Witana, urging the construction for all restrooms as gender neutral in the renovation of the Memorial Union bookstore, was passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 45, authored by Moosavi, co-authored by Klein, introduced by the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission, to reduce waste and encourage the purchase and use of durable, biodegradable, non-toxic and reusable products with high post-consumer content, was passed with a vote of 10-1-1.

Consideration of urgent legislation

An urgent Senate Resolution authored by Castillo-Ruiz, co-authored by Rajabally, Shere Punjab, Farhan Syed, Tanner and Geoffrey Wildanger, in opposition of academic repercussions against any nonviolent protests in response to the threatened expulsion of 11 UC Irvine protestors, was passed unanimously.

An urgent Senate Resolution authored by Juarez, co-authored by Mo Torres and Mark Yanez, in support of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center’s proposal for a safer campus community that was presented to Chancellor Linda Katehi on March 11, was passed unanimously.

An urgent Senate Resolution, authored by Schaefer, introduced by Rombi, to encourage students to nominate the city of Davis for the “Google Fiber for Communities” project before the March 26 deadline, was passed unanimously.

An urgent Senate Bill, authored by Rombi, co-authored by Klein, to allocate $74.39 from Senate Reserves to purchase 1,000 labels for the Coffee House to establish which items are compostable, was passed unanimously.

Public discussion

Thongsavat warned that the Tipsy Taxi is in danger of being discontinued due to decreased funding.

Meeting adjourned at 2:03 a.m.

JANELLE BITKER compiles the senate briefs. She can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.