Councilmember steps away from public, focuses on family

In a brief statement on Friday afternoon, Davis City Councilmember Lamar Heystek confirmed he will not seek reelection in the upcoming June election.

A gathering at the Community Chambers on 23 Russell Blvd. listened to Heystek’s prepared speech as he thanked community members, “Draft Lamar” petition signers, his colleagues, as well as his fiancé Pui San, his father, his twin brother Louis and his best man Adrian.

In response to the petition urging the councilmember to reconsider the decision not to run, Heystek expressed his respects and thanks to the Davisites’ efforts and mentioned the pressure and strain he has felt in the past few weeks.

Heystek considered the commitment he made to the community four years ago against “the solemn oath I will be taking on my wedding day and will commit to uphold for the rest of my life.”

“I believe back in October, and I still believe today, that continuing to pursue elective office at this time would not be conducive to my personal ambition to be a successful husband and father within the next four years,” Heystek said. “Therefore the decision I announced on Oct. 17, 2009 stands.”

Last fall, Heystek announced he would pause his public career to focus on family. Earlier last week, he announced he would hold the meeting in order to address the community’s efforts.

“I want to apologize to all of those I disappoint with this announcement,” he said. “I am very sorry to have let you down. I want you to know I do not take lightly the opportunity I am forgoing in the short term. However, while I certainly do not believe that a successful private life and a successful public life are by definition mutually exclusive, I do not believe that the time is now to strive for both simultaneously at this juncture in my life.”

Heystek also said he is not prepared right now to endorse a candidate for this year’s election. There are currently three candidates – Joe Krovoza[cq], Rochelle Swanson and Sydney Vergis- running for two open seats on the council.

More candidates may come forward until the extended filing period ends on Wednesday.

– Pooja Kumar