Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Eastern Washington

Records: Aggies, 4-8; Eagles, 5-6

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center – Davis, Calif.

When: Sunday, March 28 at 11:00 a.m.

Who to watch: Senior Tyler Lee is a vital part of the Aggies’ team.

The Bermuda Dunes, Calif. native has been improving since his freshman year.

“Tyler has had a solid season in doubles and in singles,” said coach Daryl Lee.

Did you know: After starting the season off playing 10 of 12 contests on the road, the Aggies’ next eight matches are at home.

Preview: Even the tennis team needs a spring break. After losing their last six contests, that break is necessary too.

The Aggies’ three-week hiatus from play comes to an end on March 28 as they face the Eagles. Before then, coach Lee has a couple expectations from the team during the break.

“I hope they work on their fitness and stay in shape,” Lee said.

The Aggies have not faced the Eagles in over three years. Their last matchup resulted in a 5-2 loss in Cheney, Wash.

Despite being past the halfway point of the season, this contest can be seen as a start for the Aggies. This is because their next eight matches are all at home at the quite comfortable combines of Marya Welch Tennis Center. This will allow the team to not have to travel for quite some time.

“Hopefully there’s more mental and physical energy to compete more at home,” coach Lee said.

The Aggies’ record may not look great on paper, but there are a few success stories that can be taken from the first half of the season.

The biggest success for the Aggies has been their freshman dominance.

Both Connor Coates and Toki Sherbakov have had solid seasons so far. Sherbakov has stepped up as a true leader of the team and usually competes in the No. 1 or 2 singles matches.

Coates is also usually in the lineup at the No. 5 or 6 spot. The Roseville, Calif. native was undefeated for the first month of the season.

These freshmen have been successful in singles, and have also teamed up to form a dangerous doubles pair.

– Zander Wold