Women’s Water Polo preview

Teams: No. 15 UC Davis vs. Harvard; Fresno Pacific

Records: Aggies, 9-10; Crimson, 8-5; Sunbirds, 3-14

Where: Schaal Aquatic Center

When: Today at 4:30 p.m., 6 p.m.

Who to watch: There are only three seniors on this year’s roster. Goalkeeper Casey Hines might be the most important of the three.

The Danville, Calif. native has been a team leader all season while in goal.

“She’s a great role model and I have nothing but respect for what she has done in the pool,” said coach Jamey Wright. “We’re very fortunate to have such a great goalie.”

Did you know? All 10 of UC Davis’ losses this season have come against higher ranked teams.

Preview: Wright is in a new position.

He’s a hall of famer.

On Wednesday, Wright was one of six to be inducted into the 2010 class of the USA Water Polo Hall of Fame.

“It’s awesome to be selected,” he said. “I was totally floored and excited to hear the great news.”

Wright said being a hall of famer is a weird feeling because he now considers himself to be old.

Despite the great honor, Wright knows the season must go on. The Aggies will host the Crimson and Sunbirds before breaking for finals.

UC Davis will play Harvard for the second straight season. The Aggies defeated the Crimson 5-3 last year.

“Harvard should be a dogfight,” Wright said. “It usually takes them a couple games to adjust to the west coast, however.”

The Aggies will not take Fresno Pacific lightly despite its record. The Sunbirds lost to UC Santa Barbara by two goals, a team that defeated the Aggies earlier in the season.

“Fresno Pacific isn’t as tough as years before,” Wright said. “They’re still a solid team, however.”

After today’s doubleheader, the Aggies take a break for finals before a rematch with the Sunbirds on March 26. UC Davis then heads to Bakersfield for the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunner Invitational starting the next day.

Wright is looking forward to the tough schedule in order to prepare the team for Big West Conference play.

“We have to be as prepared as we can be for Big West play,” Wright said. “We need to get a good push before conference games start.”

– Jason Alpert