Aggies push win streak to five

It’s interesting to see what a little rest can do for a short-handed team.

The Aggies (6-7) took down both of their opponents over spring break to extend their winning streak to a season-high five matches.

With No. 1 singles player, Desiree Stone and Sidney Brady both back after illness, UC Davis manhandled Weber State in a 7-0 win on Friday.

The Aggies displayed an all-around solid performance again on Saturday, routing Cal State Fullerton 7-0 for their second Big West Conference victory.

“They have proven themselves,” said coach Bill Maze. “It’s great to have [Sidney and Desiree] back. Sidney has been trying to get over an illness and Stone is not 100 percent yet. We’re looking forward to their contributions.”

Stone fell back into form and defeated her opponent 6-4 and 6-0 on Friday. She continued to excel in the second matchup as she dominated 6-0, 6-2. It was her first competition since UC Davis swept San Jose State on March 11.

Maze’s team moved to 2-3 in conference play with four Big West games remaining on the schedule.

This weekend’s action also made Maze realize any conference win is a welcome sight.

“It’s always great to pick up conference wins,” Maze said. “We got a lot of confidence. For a lot of reasons, we’re playing really well.”

Maze was concerned about how Brady would play after her long layoff. After Saturday, Brady put her coach’s worries to rest.

“We were wondering how she’d come back, but she didn’t miss a beat,” Maze said. “She’s a great striker of the tennis ball. It’s just a matter of staying patient and she’ll do well.”

With the two singles wins against the Wildcats and Titans, Brady kept her spot as the team’s leader in wins, which stands at nine after the weekend.

Lauren Curry has been under the radar for UC Davis all season as she quietly remained the team’s second best singles player with eight wins. Curry earned two singles victories as she won 7-6, 6-1 against the Wildcats and posted 6-2, 6-0 victory over her Cal State Fullerton opponent.

The reemergence of the doubles play came as a result of putting Stone back into the first team. Herzyl Legaspi and Stone swept their two matchups 8-2 and 8-5, respectively.

The Big West Tournament has been in the Aggies’ sights since the beginning of the year and Maze knows momentum is more crucial than ever.

“I think we’re moving in that direction,” Maze said. “The goal is to peak at the conference tournament. At least that’s the plan.”

MARCOS RODRIGUEZ can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.