Friday, May 10, 2024

Davis City Council announces 2009 Business and Economic Development Awards

The city of Davis received a brief reprieve from the weary economy with its 2009 Business and Economic Development Awards.

The ceremony, held at City Council’s March 16 meeting, celebrated the achievements of three distinct recipients. Company Hibbert Lumber was applauded for Extended Excellence in Local Economic Development, Davis local Reed Youmans was honored for Individual Contributions to Local Economic Development and the Davis Farmers Market was recognized for Business Contributions to Local Economic Development.

Youmans said despite being a partner in Hallmark Properties and President of the Yolo County Visitors Bureau, he was astounded by the distinction.

“It was quite humbling,” Youmans said. “I was totally surprised. I had no idea. It was an amazing evening. When they called me up on the phone [to say I had received the award] I said ‘You’re kidding me.'”

Although Youmans was shocked at his nomination, his list of Davis community projects is extensive. Along with his role as president of the YCVB and partnership in Hallmark Properties, Youmans has served on the Board of the Davis Downtown Business Association and helped coordinate fundraising and planning for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California bicycling event in Davis.

The Davis Farmers Market was crowned “America’s Favorite Farmers Market” for 2009 by the American Farmland Trust. The distinction was decided not by the association, however, but by the thousands of voters who chose the market over 800 others. 30,000 votes were cast in total with the Davis Farmers Market receiving 10 percent of all votes.

The Davis Farmers Market’s Market Manager, Randii McNear, said the market prides itself on being an integral facet of the community. McNear estimated 50 percent of the votes were from university students, which she hopes is an indication of the sense of community the farmers market gives to even temporary Davis residents.

“Family and friends may be suffering and losing jobs, and it’s kind of like you come to the market and for just that brief moment in time everyone comes together and it’s just a happy place to be,” McNear said. “It’s a moment of respite form the stresses of the world. It nourishes your soul and body.”

Hibbert Lumber has been a Davis business for over 60 years and was honored for this longevity at the Business and Economic Development Awards. Still a family-run business – sisters Becky, Jane and Molly are now in charge – Hibbert Lumber is well known in the Davis community. After receiving recognition by the City Council, the Davis Enterprise entitled the company the number one Best Independent Retailer.

Residing General Manager, Becky Hibbert, said Hibbert’s accomplishments are due to their dedicated staff, many of whom have worked at the company for more than 20 years.

“Nancy Grimes has worked here over 34 years and Carla Knee has worked here more than 40 years,” Hibbert said. “The expertise and dedication that have been contributed by Carla and Nancy is irreplaceable.”

The Business and Economic Development award was first established three years ago in order to celebrate local businesses, organizations and individuals with exceptional contributions to the Davis community.

KELLEY REES can be reached at city@theaggie.org.