Aggies dominate singles play, defeat Eagles

After a long winter quarter everyone needed a nice spring break, including the men’s tennis team.

The Aggies headed into the break having lost six straight contests. Their first match of the spring gives them reason to raise their confidence.

UC Davis defeated Eastern Washington 6-1 on Sunday, the Aggies’ first win since Feb. 6.

“It was good to have a break,” said coach Daryl Lee.

UC Davis might have had one of its’ best performances of the season, but the contest did not start off too well.

Even though freshmen Toki Sherbakov and Connor Coates won the first doubles match of the day 8-4, the Aggies’ other duos did not finish as strong.

Tyler Lee and Nic Amaroli as well as Hunter Lee and Chris Aria both lost their matches 8-6 which gave the Eagles the doubles point.

With the team’s confidence dipping, 16-year coach Lee knew exactly what to do.

“The team gathered together after doubles,” Lee said. “I wanted to remind our team that one singles match can offset that doubles victory.”

Lee’s pep talk seemed to work as the Aggies came out and won all six singles matches.

“A lot of the guys did a good job in singles in keeping their composure together,” Lee said. “Specifically Chris Aria, Hunter and Tyler Lee. [They] all didn’t let their doubles losses carry into their singles play.”

In the No. 1 singles match, freshman Toki Sherbakov came back to beat Stefan Simikic after losing the first set.

“Toki brings particular strengths to matches,” coach Lee said. “He showed resilience and persevered.”

Amaroli, who has not participated in singles play for the majority of the season, played singles in his second straight match. This time he was victorious, despite losing the first set and starting the second set down 4-1.

In the No. 6 singles match, freshman Connor Coates reversed his recent struggles by earning his win in straight sets.

“It was good for Coates to have some success out there,” coach Lee said.

The contest was the first of a season long eight straight home games for the Aggies, whose record for the season is now 5-8.

UC Davis returns to action Wednesday when it hosts Montana at 2 p.m.

ZANDER WOLD can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.