Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Montana

Records: Aggies, 5-8; Grizzlies, 4-5

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center – Davis, Calif.

When: Wednesday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: Freshman Toki Sherbakov has had success all season long.

That success continued last Sunday when the native of Mountain View, Calif. posted victories in both doubles and singles play.

“Toki is an excellent competitor,” said coach Daryl Lee. “That’s something he’s going to bring to his matches every time.”

Did you know: Both the UC Davis men’s and women’s tennis squads will be taking on Montana today at the same time, with both matches occurring in the same location.

Preview: Now that spring break and the Aggies’ six-game losing streak are over, the team looks to start a new streak – one of a winning nature.

UC Davis is coming fresh off a 6-1 victory against Eastern Washington. All Aggie singles players picked up wins to account for the total. The Eagles claimed the doubles point as only Conner Coates and Sherbakov could collect a doubles win.

The best part about the win is that the match was the first of what is an eight-match home-stand.

“It can be something we can capitalize on,” coach Lee said. “We need to prepare on and off the court.”

The Aggies’ first match this week comes against Montana and will bring back memories from last year. The Aggies faced the Grizzlies in 2009 at Marya Welch Tennis Center and lost in a close match by a score of 4-3.

UC Davis is going to do all it can to defeat Montana this season in hopes of preventing losses to the same team in back-to-back years. This, coach Lee said, is added motivation for the Aggies.

After the contest against Montana, UC Davis will have several days to prepare for Saturday’s match against Sonoma State, a makeup contest originally scheduled for Jan. 22.

– Zander Wold and Max Rosenblum