Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sonoma State

Records: Aggies, 5-8; Seawolves, 7-7

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center – Davis, Calif.

When: Saturday at noon

Who to watch: Connor Coates is making a name for himself in only his first year as an Aggie.

The Roseville, Calif. local leads UC Davis with 10 singles victories and is the only Aggie with a record over .500.

Coates is tied for the most total wins on the team after securing victories in both his singles and doubles match against Eastern Washington.

Did you know? It’s been awhile since the Aggies and Seawolves have faced off on the tennis court. The last meeting on Mar. 9, 2008 saw the Aggies escape with the 4-3 win at the Marya Welch Center.

Preview: Before Sunday, UC Davis had only played two home matches all season.

After playing most of the year on the road, the Aggies have been rewarded, as Saturday’s contest is the third of a season-high eight straight matches at home.

UC Davis began the homestand by dispatching Eastern Washington by a 6-1 margin.

The only point the Aggies weren’t able to secure was in doubles as only one of three UC Davis pairs could claim a win.

After playing Montana yesterday, the team will continue this weekend against Sonoma State, a team the Aggies haven’t faced in over two years.

The biggest threat the Seawolves have for the Aggies is probably senior Connor Olson, who has a 17-8 record in singles play and leads his team with 27 total wins. Olson is also on somewhat of a streak as he has won each of his last two singles and doubles matches.

After Sonoma State comes to town, UC Davis will welcome five more foes starting with UC San Diego on Apr. 9 and ending with Big West Conference rival UC Irvine on Apr. 18.

Saturday’s match against Sonoma State is a make-up contest as the match, originally scheduled for Jan. 22, was postponed due to rain.

– Max Rosenblum