Male athlete of the quarter

Last year, when UC Davis came up short to UC Santa Barbara at the 2009 Big West Conference Championships, something clicked in Scott Weltz’s head.

“We realized we were a really good team,” Weltz said. “This year, coach [Pete] Motekaitis was telling us that it was in our hands to win championships.”

This season, a Weltz-led team went 8-0 and won the Aggies’ first men’s swimming and diving conference championship. For his performances, Weltz received his second Big West Conference Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Year honor.

This season, the senior from San Jose, Calif. posted a school-record time of 46.90 in the 100 fly at the Texas Invitational and won first in the 200 IM, 100 fly and 200 breaststroke at the Big West championships.

Over his career, Weltz has put together an impressive resume. He’s the current school-record holder in five events, has scored the most individual points in conference championships for the last two years and is a member of all five school-record relay teams.

For his accomplishments, The California Aggie is naming Scott Weltz Male Athlete of the Quarter.

“Weltz is one of the hardest workers, putting in consistent effort day in and day out,” Motekaitis said. “We’re really glad to have had him for five years.”

While this may be the end of the line for Weltz at UC Davis, he hopes to find a job that allows him to continue toward a career in the pool.

“I’m looking for a job, but I would love to keep swimming and training.”

While Weltz is unsure of his future, Motekaitis has high expectations for him.

“I think Scott will be an exceptional man,” Motekaitis said. “Maybe if I’m lucky enough, I’ll coach his kids.”

-Matt Wang