‘Glamarchists’ stage silent glitter protest against budget cuts and hate crimes

On Wednesday afternoon, a group of approximately 30 students gathered at the Memorial Union fountain to protest Chancellor Katehi, budget cuts, fee increases and the privatization of the UC system and the recent hate crimes across UC campuses.

The protest, called “Glamarchy Now!” was a silent event, but one protestor was willing to voice her opinion.

“I can’t speak for everyone, but I am here in protest of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Resource Center vandalism,” said Sarah Raridon, a senior gender studies major. “There was a compiled list of demands after the hate crimes, but they have just passed through ineffectual committee after ineffectual committee.”

Students assembled, dressed in shades of black, wearing glitter on their faces, bodies and clothing. They held posters doused in glitter, which showcased slogans such as “Stop raising tuition, glitter is expensive!” and “Save my eye candy – don’t cut athletics.”

“The glitter and fucking fabulousness speaks to the resiliency as a community,” Raridon said. “We are letting fabulous bodies speak for themselves right now. Oppressed communities are the first affected [by budget cuts and the resulting change in environment].”

From 2008 to 2011, the total budget reductions for the LGBTRC and the Cross Cultural Center will be 7.5 percent while the overall cuts to Student Affairs will be approximately 30 percent of the division’s budget, said Janet Gong, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs in a previous Aggie editorial.

Gong added that the LGBTRC and CCC are among the departments with the smallest cuts in the past three years because larger units with greater flexibility have been assigned the larger budget reductions.

The 2010-2011 academic year estimated cuts for both the LGBTRC and the CCC are 1 percent of the current base budget.

These reductions and the overall Student Affairs budgetary reduction plans are reviewed with the Student Services and Fees Administrative Advisory Committee, a student-majority committee that oversees registration fee funding on the campus, Gong said.

– Shawna Alpdemir