Men’s Tennis Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. UC San Diego; Portland State; Portland

Records: Aggies, 6-9; Tritons, 10-9; Vikings, 6-7; Pilots, 8-6

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center – Davis, Calif.

When: Friday, 2 p.m.; Saturday, 10:30 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.

Who to watch: Junior Nick Lopez has had a long season.

He has spent majority of the year as No. 1 in singles as well as in doubles with his partner Hunter Lee.

Although it has been a hard transition, he is showing signs of improvement.

After barely losing to Montana in three sets last Wednesday, Lopez came back Saturday against Sonoma State and won in straight sets.

Did you know? The Vikings and the Pilots are the only two teams that the Aggies played multiple times this season.

In the first matchup of the season, UC Davis defeated Portland State 5-2, and lost to Portland 5-2.

Preview: In the midst of its longest homestand of the season, UC Davis started it off by showing improvement.

Since a two-week break in the season, the Aggies have gone 2-1 by beating Sonoma State and Eastern Washington and losing to Montana.

Now UC Davis is preparing for a long weekend in which three contests will take place.

The competition starts on Friday against UC San Diego whom UC Davis has not faced in almost two years. The last time the two saw each other, the Aggies defeated the Tritons in Davis, 4-3. In that contest Lopez picked up a singles victory and Nic Amaroli was victorious in the No. 3 doubles match.

On Saturday, Portland State will be the Aggies’ opponent who they beat 5-2 earlier this season. Lopez, Toki Sherbakov, Tyler Lee and Connor Coates all picked up singles wins in the contest.

Moving into Sunday, the Aggies will be facing the Pilots who they did not have success against earlier this year.

The only two points for the Aggies came in singles play from freshmen Sherbakov and Coates. The two have had a successful freshman campaign as they are at the top of the team leader board in singles victories for the season.

– Zander Wold