Track and Field Preview

Event: Sun Angel Track Classic

Where: Sun Angel Stadium – Tempe, Ariz.

When: Saturday and Sunday, all day

Who to watch: Kiara Reed ran her fastest 800 of her collegiate career last week in the Mathis Invitational.

The senior from Chico, Calif broke into the Aggies’ top 10 with her 2:11.85 time.

Much of Reed’s recent success can be attributed to an alternate training regiment after she returned from an injury.

She’ll do triple the amount of work on the bike,” said coach Deanne Vochatzer. “She is willing to suffer, to work hard and to put herself on the line.”

Did you know? Among the top teams traveling to the event are Brigham Young University and Auburn University. Additionally host Arizona State University fields a solid squad.

All three programs were very dominant in last year’s event and are currently rated in the top 25 on the men’s side according to U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

Preview: The Aggies can make a name for themselves in the collegiate track community this weekend as they travel to Tempe to take part in the Sun Angel Track Classic hosted by Arizona State University.

“[The Sun Angel Track Classic] is a high echelon quality meet,” Deanne said. “We’re going because it’s time to go toe-to-toe with some of the top teams of the country.”

Coaches Deanne and Jon Vochatzer will be given a great look at the strengths and weaknesses of the women’s and men’s team, respectively.

Both will use the results of the last week’s Mathis Invitational to select the best athletes on the track this weekend, as they’re only allowed to bring 15 men and women.

“We’re going to bring our best guns,” Deanne said. “We’re counting on our top athletes to compete against other top teams.”

– Matt Wang