Women’s Rowing Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State

Records: Aggies 9-8; Hornets 6-10

Where: Port of Sacramento

When: Saturday at 8 a.m.

Who to watch: Lia D’Angelo has been the coxswain of her boat all season and often controls the rhythm and chemistry of her team’s rowers.

The sophomore rowing captain led the first Varsity 8 last Sunday and won the petite final at the San Diego Crew Classic.

Did you know? The Aggies have lost to the Hornets in three of their last five matchups.

The last victory came in 2008 when they won it for the second consecutive year with a time 6:44.68.

Preview: This is a rivalry defined not just in rowing, but in all collegiate sports.

While the Aggies are coming off an impressive showing at the San Diego Crew Classic, the Hornets have edged out UC Davis in recent memory. After back-to-back Jean Runyon Cups in 2007 and 2008, the Hornets broke the streak with a time of 6:46.50 last year.

Despite this, the Aggies have the momentum after they took the Crew Classic with a time of 6:56.20. UC Davis crushed its closest opponent, Villanova, by a clean 20 seconds. The second varsity eight also had a respectable performance but were inched out by the Hornets who won with a mark of 7:03.80. The Aggies were a close second with a time of 7:04.55.

Despite the achievements, the Aggies are not about to be complacent as this matchup against Sacramento State will be one of the few times they face off in a single-opponent race.

With the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships beginning in May, the Aggies have a chance to show their opponents just how much they’ve grown this season.

This race, meanwhile, should help the Aggies stay focused and in control as the Hornets are the only team who will cause them worry.

– Marcos Rodriguez