Aggies battle through doubleheader

Two pitches would have made the difference in the doubleheader split against Pacific.

Overall, coach Karen Yoder was pleased with the quality of each game.

“It was an evenly-matched doubleheader,” Yoder said. “You could really tell the Tigers came together and fought hard against our team.”

UC Davis moved to a 3-2 conference and 14-23 overall. Pacific stayed even with a 3-2 conference mark in the Big West Conference and 16-20 overall.

Saturday – Game 1: Pacific 2, UC Davis 1

A few homeruns accounted for a low-scoring matchup.

The Aggies took an early lead in the first game as Sarah Axelson [cq] led off the second inning with her team-leading third long ball of the season.

The 1-0 lead would last until the fourth inning when Pacific’s Karie Wilson responded with homerun of her own to tie the game.

A sixth-inning Tiger solo shot would be the deciding run for Pacific as Megan Allen found a pitch she liked and took it deep to account for the final score.

“They are a good club that can compete really well right now,” Yoder said. “Offensively they capitalized and you have to tip your hat to those hitters.”

Pitcher Dana Waldusky suffered the loss despite allowing just two runs on six hits.

“She pitched well,” Yoder said. “It was the type of game where if you could take back two pitches – those two homers – I’m sure she would want those two pitches to be different.”

Waldusky allowed just one walk, while striking out seven.

Saturday-Game 2: UC Davis 2, Pacific 1

Game two was scoreless until the fourth inning.

That’s when Jessica Gonzalez got things started for the Aggies as she led off the frame with a single.

Elizabeth Santana then sacrificed to move Gonzalez to second before Axelson delivered with the runner in scoring position as she hit a double to bring Gonzalez in from second.

Later in the frame, Axelson scored the second run on an illegal pitch.

The Tigers pulled within 2-1, but that would be all they could manage.

“It was a battle,” Yoder said. “Overall we put the ball in play, and it was a hard fought doubleheader.”

Alex Holmes threw the five-hit complete-game victory from the circle as she struck out four and walked one.

“Her pitches moved quite well,” Yoder said. “She put our team in position to win and did a good job.”

Holmes, Axelson and Santana led the Aggie offense in the two games as each collected two hits.

The teams were scheduled to close out the three-game series yesterday, but the game was postponed due to the rain forecast. A make-up date has not yet been scheduled.

UC Davis will take the field next on Saturday as it faces Long Beach State in conference home opener.

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.